Mer de noms review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: May 23, 2000
A Perfect Circle: Mer de noms

I enjoy A Perfect Circle's sound in general and this, their first album. They remind me of an older psychedelic band but they are in wrapped up in a modern alternative rock package to create a fantastic final product. This album's title is French for "sea of names" and many of the track titles are people's names that Maynard James Keenan knew. This is an interesting concept idea for an album. The songs on the album definitely have a very personal and emotional feeling to them, which obviously highlights the main idea of the album. Each song is like a story of heartache, loss, love, anger, and anything else.

What can be said about Maynard that hasn't already been said? His voice is extremely unique and I personally think it sounds fantastic. It's like no one else's voice. The lyrics in this album are very personal. Most of the songs are directed towards specific people on a first name basis. This creates a very emotional feeling to the whole album. It's almost sad when you listen to the album. The lyrics compliment the mood set by the instruments as well.

In comparison to their other releases, I like this one more than Emotive but not more than Thirteenth Step. My favorite songs on the album are The Hollow, Judith, and 3 Libras. What I love about the album is that it has a unique concept to it and its immense passion in the singing. What I don't like about the album that some of the songs can get a tad boring to me. But that's not too often.