Thirteenth Step review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

This album has beautiful sound... Rather than go for the polished sound of most of today's music, it strays and has that garage-y lo-fi approach on most of the songs. I feel this is more intimate for us listeners. I do not think that this album is as "soft" as people say it is. It isn't the toughest album out there, but it is not the "accoustic cd" that most people are labeling it as. The overall all sound of this album makes you want to relax, play guitar. At some points it can lull you to sleep, or get you up on you're feet and ready to jam. Honestly beautiful production and sound engineering. At times I feel as if i have 3 top bands: Tool, APC(mer de noms) and APC (13th step). Billy and Josh have a way of making they're sound new everytime. Piano's are beautiful on this album.

As most everyone will agree, Maynard's lyrics are nothing short of beautiful. They paint pictures so vividly. They flow nicely. It really is as if he's listened to the actual music, written a book and gotten excerpts from his stories and placed them with the music. It really is art. Maynard knows what he is doing. With most singers they make you feel like you are lesser... or try to hard to be opressed... Maynard doesn't do that, while he does show that he is a person just like the rest of us and not some big shot, his lyrics also show this vulnerability that is one wither you, like you are sharing everything with him.

This album sets itself apart from Mer De Noms... There is no 'Judith' there is no '3 Libras.' This is a sit and listen cd. Some tracks that are a must are The Noose - nice little track with piano's. The Outsider - harder song with a beautiful finale. and The Nurse Who Loved Me - a cover of Failure (a great band) beautiful song, shows TOTALLY different side of APC. My least favorite track would have to be Blue, while it has one of the nicest, and most subtle, solo's in the cd... it was kind of "ehhhh" for me. This album is definitely worth buying. Suggestion - buy the cd then see them live... Trust me live they are incredible it might water down the album.