Thirteenth Step review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

This new album from A Perfect Circle is, in my opinion, a complete 180 from Mer De Noms. Where as Mer De Noms was a quntisential alternative record with its hard fast and to the point songs that are a headbangers paradise, 13th Step takes a much toned down approach. Most of the songs on this record are on the softer side. But that doesn't mean that it won't please long time fans and newbies alike. As mentioned before, the sound style is much softer on most of the songs, although we do have some hard and semi-hard songs to give ourselves some neck injury. This album is more of an evoloution than a revoloution for the band. Their playing style has changed a bit because of people constantly coming and going from the band. Although this isnt a bad thing, I was hoping for a more Mer De Noms style album with more heavy stuff. Twiggy Ramirez is god on bass and I expected no less from a former Manson member and Billy Howerdel is one of the gretest technical guitarists I have ever heard, but he can display a lot of emotion in his playing without being overly simple.

Lyrics are possible the biggest part of this album. The ammount of emotion that are in the lyrics almost outweigh the melody itself. Manyard James Keenan, because of his experience with Tool, has gotten his vocals and songwriting down to a science although very few other new artists have been able to capture the same essence of pure emotion in their lyrics. Keenan has apparantly had a lot of things happen in his life and it's great ammo for him in his songwriting. There are some songs that I don't really think the lyrics fit the melody. Crimes is just Keenan counting to 13 and then some people talking, and Lullaby is a girl with a very nice voice however not singing real words but more of a melody. Some people might like that but I don't. I prefer more lyrical content in my music. Other than this, I see absolutley no faults here.

I'm not going to lie to you people. If you haven't figured out that I absolutley love this CD then you haven't been paying attention. Since the day I got it, it hasn't left my portable CD player and aside from my computer, my portable is my main music device although it will soon be replaced with an iPod. The most impressive songs on the album to me are The Noose, Weak and Powerless,(Although I wouldn't buy the CD just for that song because you'll get tired of just that one song and then think its a waste of money without exploring all this album has to offer)The Outsider, The Nurse Who Loved Me(An excelent cover of a Failure song)and Pet. This CD is one of the best of the year in my opinion and worth every penny. So next time you're at your local record store or where ever it is that you get your music, pass up Avril and Good Charlotte and go straigh for the good stuff.