Thirteenth Step review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Sep 16, 2003
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

This is a really moody album, much like mer de noms, but this one is better. A Perfect Circle really envelope the listener in a musical atmosphere, with there deep heart felt lyrics, ambient effects, and a slew of great delay work on the guitars. Billy Howerdel really shows off his ability as a guitarist on this album. Standout songs on this cd are (Pet, The Noose, Blue and The Outsider).

Im not totally sure if Maynard writes all the lyrics in this band or not, I've heard alot of the work is done by billy howerdel, but I'm sure like most real bands they do sit down and colaberate. As far as maynards singing goes, this guy can do it all man, he really gets the emotion across that he wants to express every time. He doesn't really get as loud on this album as he did on previous work with apc or tool, but loud doesn't matter, as long as its good right. And how we all know Maynard James is the man.

The only thing on this ablum I didn't like was, crimes and lullabye, I wish the band would have spent a little more time and came up with something more, those two sound like outtakes from the studio. The nurse who loved me is new twist on an old song, I like it...Maynard really shines on this song. The bass on this album is just all over the place, a breath of fresh air if you ask me. I can't wait till there next cd, I wanna see what James Iha can do, he didn't get to write on this cd, the guitars were danny lohner and troy van luehen. Too bad danny lohner didnt stick around even just as a third guitarist that would be cool too. BUY THIS CD, its probably one of the best cd's out this year...in fact it is. APC rules! Real artwork here people, not the watery for your money only crap you hear on radio...real talent, real music...really great! have a nice day.