Thirteenth Step review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Sep 15, 2003
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

There is a large range of music styles and sound within this album, from the heavy "The Outsider" and "Pet", through to the softer tones of "The Noose" and "The Nurse Who Loved Me". It is this range of sounds which kept me enthralled, listening for the first time through I was never sure what to expect next and was always presently surprised. Stand out tracks for me have to be "The Noose" and "Blue", two tracks which I feel convey the range of sounds.

Maynard is undoubtly one of the most talented singers around presently, and continues to amaze me with his vocal capacity and range. The lyrics are deep and involving for the listener, provoking thought and imagination. However, sometimes he tries to be too clever, losing the listeners interest and some vareity with striaght forward singing would be nice. Overall though, brilliant stuff from a wonderful talent.

Here comes the inevitable Mer Der Noms comparison - they are two different albums, take them both as individuals please, as new works of music, not this as a continuation of the debut album. I love the vocals, and the range of music, which in themselves make this a must buy form my point of view. If stolen by monkeys in the trees, I'd happily become Tarzan and go after them.....or something.