Thirteenth Step review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Sep 15, 2003
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

Incredible. I could seriously just lay down and listen to this album over and over again because it's so mellow and cool. Although some may not like that about this album. A lot of people prefer hard rocking guitar riffs and a vocalist shouting/screaming at the top of his lungs. This album doesn't have much of that. It's good in some ways, but bad in other ways. There doesn't seem to be enough variety in the style of guitar playing, but I'm a sucker for slow emotional songs.

Maynard is my favorite vocalist. He can do it all, and his lyrics are always very thought-provoking. Like the guitar work, the lyrics and the vocals lack variety. The song "The Nurse Who Loved Me" might be very catchy and all, but I didn't exactly care for the lyrics much.

Maynard's bands bring art back into music. There's something truly beautiful about how Tool and A Perfect Circle play their music. This cd is just another Maynard masterpiece. It hasn't left my cd player yet. My favorite songs are The Noose, The Outsider, Weak and Powerless, and Pet. I didn't care much for Crimes, The Nurse Who Loved Me, Vanishing, and Lullaby. If the cd was stolen, I'd probably try to buy it again. If not, then I'd burn it. I just have to have it.