Thirteenth Step review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Sep 15, 2003
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step is just plain amazing. Unlike almost every other band, their songs do not go "verse chorus verse chorus solo" or somewhere along those lines. Billy Howerdel (guitar) uses a fair amount of octave riffs in most of his songs, their bassist, Paz, has riffs which wouldnt fit anywhere else in any bands, or in any other songs. Their drummer knows how to create uniqueness, whether it be the intro to the Package, or the drums to Pet, he's a big part of their sound. 01. The Package - amazing song, the first time I heard it I put it on repeat for hours. The guitar/drums intro is very unique. The guitar switches up a lot in it, and instead of normal drums, the drummer uses just his sticks, tapping them to certian beats, and it sounds pretty damn cool if you listen to it. The song quickly switches from quit to loud and obnoxious with heavy riffs and guitar fill-ins. It's an amazing song, one of my favorite. (5) 02. Weak And Powerless - this is the song everybody probably knows since it's the APC song that gets played on the radio. Starts out with heavy semi-fast bass, the verse's guitar part is really cool, it has nothing to do with the bass part, but that's common in APC's songs. Maynard (vocalist) sounds amazing on vocals during this song, even though half of the lyrics don't make sense, it starts with the line "Tilling my own grave to keep it level." The drums are a huge part of this song, adding all the perfect transitions, while the second guitarist uses an acoustic which adds that extra umph. Great song. Gets stuck in your head. (5) 03. The Noose - starts out with a vocals/guitar intro, which is very cool, really good lyrics like "Not to pull your halo down, around your neck to choke you now, but I'm more then just a little curios, how you're plannin' to go about makin your amends, to the dead." The isn't really heavy in this song, but it still fits really well, it's more of a slower song. But still very good. The bass doesn't do a lot in this song, but without it this song wouldn't be so cool. (5) 04. Blue - one of my favorites, the lyrics are a little weird, but the way Maynard sings this song is just amazing. It's not heavy, it's not fast, but it still blows my mind away. The bass adds a lot, the drums add a lot, the guitar just helps bring everything together. (5) 05. Vanishing - yet another great example of how not to write a song that goes "verse chorus verse chorus solo outro." The vocals do a very cool thing with delay. It's just a song about dissappearing, but it's cool, doesn't really have a chorus or anything. It's just unique, the guitar is really funky in this song, same for the drums. It's good. (4.5) 06. A Stranger - starts with a cool acoustic intro, the vocals aren't my favorite, but I still like them. The lyrics are cool. Much like Vanishing, has no chorus, but that's what makes it cool, it's a song that slows you down. Good guitar, good bass, good drums. (5) 07. The Outsider - great song. Starts out happy, then changes to the verse which makes your neck start to sweat and all the hairs on your back stand up. The chorus is cool, the lyrics and vocals are amazing, it switches back to a happy sounding tone for a little, then drops back into negativity. Lyrics are cool, with stuff like "Medicated, Drama Queen, Picture perfect numb beligerance." It's a very cool song, awesome guitar, great bass, and yet again it wouldn't be anywhere without the drums adding all the perfect transitions. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give it a 23. (5) 08. Crimes - funky song. Starts out with cool drums and guitar. Cool lyrics, Cool everything. Not much to say about it. (4.5) 09. The Nurse Who Loved Me - it's all about... you guessed it, the nurse that loved him, no real chorus, no drums, some string stuff in the backround, it's pretty cool how everything works together. (5) 10. Pet - simply mind blowing. That's all that needs to be said. Great drums, great bass, great vocals. It's all about being ignorant to stay happy and healthy. The guitar is the core of this song. From it's awesome Chorus from, to it's perfect transitions. It makes you listen to this CD for weeks. (5) 11. Lullaby - cool song, much like some of the others, cool vocals, pretty good drums. No bass or guitar. No chorus, Maynard says a few cool lines, then just plays around with his voice, and it repeats over and over and just fades out. (4.5) 12. Gravity - I love this song. Great guitar intro, the bass helps it so much. And it wouldn't be perfect without drums. This is probably my second or third favorite off this CD. The lyrics are amazing, and the way Maynard sings them are mind blowing too. This song fits perfectly. (5).

Maynard is always an awesome vocalist no matter what he does. Whether it be Sober, Judith, or Pet. They're all great songs. He takes opera lessons, so his voice is just amazing. It's better then any of the emo singers. Billy Howerdel writes most of the lyrics, but they're still great. The lyrics thus, fit the music perfectly.

To sum it up. It owns your favorite Slipknot album. And it will continue to be the most unique cd I know until Tool comes out with a new one. This is just great music. All of the guys (and girl) in A Perfect Circle are far from being sell-outs. They write whatever they please. Rarely using theory. It's a great band. I highly suggest them. I hope this review inspired you to get it, but this review didn't even get close to how good it is. Buy it. Stop being a sell out. If I was walking down the street and I had my CD player out with this in it, and somebody ran by and took it. I would sprint them down, break their arm, and politely take my CD back.