Thirteenth Step review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Sep 15, 2003
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

A Perfect Circle's sound on this album is great. I would say that of their three albums, this is my favorite one. It has some great instrumental work in there and Maynard's singing and lyrics are top notch, as usual. What I like about APC is that they have slower, clean, intimate moments and songs, and then they are intense and heavy moments and songs mixed in with it. Maynard's vocals are just great, too. I also like that APC kind of has the mixture between modern alternative rock and they remind me of an older psychedelic band from the 60's. This album has some particularly great songs and sounds coming from the band. I really like the bass tone and heavy guitar tones in this album.

What I like about Maynard's lyrics in APC is that they are much more intimate and personal, dealing with emotions, whereas I find in Tool they seem to be about overall ideas and principles and Puscifer is just silly. All of which are good at different times, but that's what I think separates APC from his other work and I think that the intimate lyrics compliment the instrumental style in their music. I find that especially prevalent in 13th step.

My favorite songs from the album are the driving rock songs like The Outsider and Pet. I love the heavy distorted guitar riffs on this album and they heavy bass tones. What I don't like is that some songs are boring to me and worth skipping almost every time like Lullaby, Crimes, and The Nurse Who Loved Me. It's a good listen and I would say that if you're going to just get one album by APC, go with thirteenth step.

genesisaeonchi_
    does anyone know what does that symbol means on the thriteen step album means? the one that looks like a triangle? please let me know asap