The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell review by A Plea for Purging

• Released: Jul 6, 2010
A Plea for Purging: The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell

A Plea For Purging is somewhat small time as far as modern metalcore acts go, but as their newest release The Marriage of Heaven and Hell shows, they are not short on creativity and talent. With this release, they offer up nothing less than dissonant and chaotic metalcore at its finest. Vocalist Andy Atkins offers a gravelly vocal approach that isn't easily comparable to other vocalists. Guitarists Blake Martin and Tyler Wilson offer up infectious riffs left and right. Bassist John Wand adds another layer with his intriguing bass lines, and drummer Aaron Eckermann lays down a furious beat. Track Listing: 01. The Eternal Female: an eerie speech followed by a haunted scream sets the mood right away, lots of low end bends and pinch harmonics with some hard-hitting riffs, lots of breakdowns at end. 02. Sick Silent America: fast-paced and angry, atmospheric interlude at :47 with ominous sound samples and synth, another eerie speech in outro. 03. Shiver: awesome riffing, dramatic key change at 1:50, good backing guitar part at end of the song. 04. Golden Barriers: fade-in to sonic chaos, good riff at :50, likewise with the higher part at 1:00, cool low divebombs in several riffs, dissonant solo at 1:41, good use of audio filter at 2:07, followed by great riff/breakdown. 05. The Fall: plenty of good riffs, noted first use of clean vocals by band to good effect, catchy chorus, another cool audio filter at 1:50, another speech at end, smooth transition to next song... 06. And Weep: starts off with some chugging followed by a disturbing cry of "your God is dead", awesome chorus, permeated by eerie background guitar parts. 07. Trembling Hands: very heavy, good tremolo parts, good use of sliding at 1:10. 08. Finite: fast, dissonant outro, excellent clean chorus, great build to best riff on the album at 2:28, solo vocals at 2:42, one of my favorites. 09. The Jealous Wings: far different than anything else by this band, all clean vocals, quiet and moody, reminds me of a clean Demon Hunter song, fantastic execution for something so experimental. 10. The New Born Wonder: good intro riff, ominous and dark, excellent dynamics, closes the album with a chaotic mixture of speeches, a washed out audio filter, and a creepy message by the voice of a child. I would have to say that this album absolutely blows me away, albeit in a different way than their previous offerings. Older fans of this band will be upset to find that there are few high-flying leads on this album, but they still make this sound their own with flying colors. That being said, while an excellent performance by the band, the producer Joey Sturgis engineered and produced this album beautifully because this album stands out in its dynamicism and backing innovation as well.

I give these guys a big kudos on the lyrics on this album as well. A lot of Christian bands' lyrics are very formulaic, Sunday church sermon material, but these guys take a dark, introspective look into the deep problems surrounding the Christian church. Most of the songs are directed at corrupt churches and how religion is used as a money-making scheme and a tool. This gives the album a very dark, bleak outlook, but it is probably stuff that needs to be said. Rather, they tell you not to trust in the words of powerful men and search for the truth yourself. The vocals are well delivered and powerful. Andy's voice complements the chaotic mood of the instrumentals and blends well. On top of that, the new addition of clean vocals by Blake Martin work out stunningly in their given contexts and give the listener a melodic reprieve from the dissonance.

All in all, I am overwhelmingly impressed with this band's grasp of themselves and their own sound. The Eternal Female, Finite, and The Jealous Wings, are absolutely thrilling songs to me, but this album is best enjoyed as a whole. I love the heaviness, production quality, and subject nature, although I do think that their could be some more high guitar parts and tasty solos in the mix, but their exclusion can be forgiven. If you like Norma Jean these guys would probably strike a chord with you. I would absolutely buy this again if stolen. I just hope that this album drives them further down a successful and long-lasting path in the music industry. Pick it up.

ironman316
    Aeolian Harmony wrote: Underjoggle wrote: Saw this band live once. It's kind of hard to take them seriously when they stop in the middle of a song for the singer to fart into the microphone. the hell? that is straight up ungodly.
    ...I must see them live now. *precedes to rofl*
    Bjorney
    brandon_hickman You threw it over the top when you said you wanted more high guitar parts and solos, which clearly shows you have no idea of the concept behind this album.
    Their previous albums were very lead / solo based
    childofbodom665
    whitebluesboy wrote: scratch that, just listened to this band on myspace, Suicide Silence called and wants their sound back.
    Yeah I'm just spitballin' here, but PLEA sounds nothing like Suicide Silence. That's pretty much a huge insult to PLEA considering the fact that Suicide Silence are atheists who play songs with disgusting lyrics, distasteful muddy riffs, and crappy drums. The only good thing about Suicide Silence is Mitch. Everything about PLEA is amazing. Btw, very good review, I'd have to agree with everything said in it. Plus the guitar tone on this album is amazing and clear, especially with such low tuned baritone guitars.
    cm3014
    There is no need to rag on this guy, he has given a quality review. A Plea for Purging is a great band with very creative material. I got this album right when it came out and still can't put it down.
    Ginsu
    ...It seems like they have a bit of "djent" influence, hmm? Tuning their guitars down to G#, playing breakdowns with the occasional polymeter? Sounds djenty to me.
    ianaimo
    Suicide Silence is completely a different style of music. Suicide Silence is loosely deathcore with a more death metal bree bree aspect to them.
    whitebluesboy wrote: do people still listen to metalcore? (serious question) I thought all metalcore kids either became hardcore kids who loved chuggy Acacia Strain stuff or became dethcore kids and listen to whitechapel?
    Yes some people still listen to metalcore. However, some of the big bands like killswitch engage, and as i lay dying, just put out two very shitty cd's. Which is a lot of reasons why people are listening to other "core" genre's then just plain metalcore. A plea for purging is very epic live as well. Their singer doesn't do the fart thing anymore thank god. It was pretty dumb. These guys aren't my favorite band by any means, but I did like that song "malevolence" from their last cd, so I will give this one a listen.
    Metal-McTwist
    Come on, Plea? This sounds nothing like your prior music... What happened to the super fast scales during those grinding, grudging open notes in the back? Lyrics are pretty great though.
    millarso
    Plenty of people listen to metalcore still. On top of that, The Acacia Strain is definitely not hardcore so I'm not really sure what you are getting at. And also, if Suicide Silence called, it would just be to ask them if they could have their sound instead. SS is awful in comparison with these guys, in my opinion.
    whitebluesboy
    whitebluesboy
    millarso
    Also, I'm sure there is a forum somewhere where all of you guys can go to dump on christianity and metalcore and spread around your confused religious concepts. This is the comments section of a music review for crap sake. You could at least try to write something productive.
    millarso
    brandon_hickman wrote: They're not metalcore, fans of Norma Jean usually hate this type of stuff, and this was a very poorly written review. You threw it over the top when you said you wanted more high guitar parts and solos, which clearly shows you have no idea of the concept behind this album. If you want cliche ass metalcore, which it sounds like you do, go listen to some As I Lay Dying or Killswitch.
    You know absolutely nothing, sir. If you knew anything about this band, you would know that they used to have awesome leads back in their early days. Please don't call my review poorly written when you meerly disagree with me. I said in the review that they make this sound work for them too and gave it a great rating, I'm not sure what else you want. I take my review writing very seriously, and don't take kindly to a snotty individual like you spitting on my hard work because he wants to feel like he knows more than me. /rant Also, I love Norma Jean and this band. Crazy, I know. They're both metalcore too. Get over it.
    Aeolian Harmony
    Underjoggle wrote: Saw this band live once. It's kind of hard to take them seriously when they stop in the middle of a song for the singer to fart into the microphone .
    the hell? that is straight up ungodly.
    BringerOfRock
    krvolok wrote: Fairly hypocritical,since there is no "Christian Church" since 1054 ad,and as they say hypocrisy fuels misanthropy.Jesus is turning in his grave.
    Just because you say something doesn't exist, doesn't make it true. I could say unicorns have existed since 1698, but that doesn't make it true. Anywho, this album is crazy good, although Joey Sturgis over-produces it, as he does with every album. Still, good composition.
    EpiExplorer
    krvolok wrote: travislausch wrote: Take the two things I hate the most, organized religion and metalcore, and mix them together? Man, I'm staying away from this one. Christcore.Anyway This is such christian thing to do take a a popular pagan ritual and make it into a holy rite.I went to YT and actually checked ou a plea for purging(Inquisitor EpiExplorer is going to banish me to hell)and surely enough I had to wash it out with five plays of Aeon's GGHIH county and western version.
    Is all good dude, besides, the inquisitors are on the christian side if the spectrum. I would put as many Jade Goody clones as I could between me and that association.
    Underjoggle
    EpiExplorer
    True. Except this has been going on for a while.. and its almost scary.
    False. All metalcore is 'cliche ass' unless you look in the far reaches of the known universe of music. And even then, theres only 4 bands that aren't cliche metalcore: Trivium (Because, no matter what you say, think or believe, they are so much better than any of the crap that gets made today) Sikth, PTH and 'The New' TesseracT.
    brandon_hickman
    travislausch
    Aeolian Harmony
    Also, schisms don't change the core tenets of any belief system. It's the finer aspects that cause those - setting up a pope in Rome, the use of icons. Also, the album cover's pretty edgy for a Christian band. Run of the mill stuff usually has a big portrait of someone smiling happily, or the band standing side by side trying to look cool. This is no-nonsense serious, but not over the top CC-esque bruutahl. I can dig it. Doesn't really change the music, but that's my two cents.
    ratracekid111
    Glad to see tis album front page. Quality stuff. Wouldn't quite say for fans of Norma Jean though, its very diffferent stuff ya know
    fallofshortie
    krvolok wrote: It's simple circum 30 ad,if you buy into that to 1054 ad there is the catholic apostolic church of christ(ruffly translated) after 1054 there is the holy catholic and apostolic church-west and the orthodox apostolic church-east and that's a fact Today there is an effort to reunite the west and the east church into the original christian church but until that happens there are the west and east and the protestant and the armenian churches but no christian church
    Do you believe there are Christians on the earth currently? People who truly follow Christ with everything they have? If so, then there is a "Christian church" because buildings or religious structures do not define Christianity. The church is the body of Christ. To put it simple: The church is all of the people on the earth who follow Christ.