Adelphia review by A Skylit Drive

• Released: Jun 9, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
A Skylit Drive: Adelphia

There is no argument that every A Skylit Drive fan loved Jordan in "She Watched The Sky", and although there has been some controversy and discussion, I think most people came to accept and enjoy Jag's Vocals in "Wires and the Concept of Breathing". However, I think something went downhill in this album, while I still think Jag is a great vocalist, this album just had his extremely high pitched singing overpowering everything in the song's, the guitars, the drums, it just wasn't heard... While in Wires everything flowed correctly, I didn't like in the album that Jag's voice just overpowered everything. This album also was a lot more pop-ish, and wasn't as heavy as the previous albums.

Well just about every song was a love song... I thought it got kind of annoying, not exactly what I expected from the band... The lyrics were very cliche and not what I come to expect from A Skylit Drive... Jag is a great vocalist, but like I said, his high pitched voice just overpowered everything in this album, and it wasn't as enjoyable as the previous albums... The heavy riffs and screams I came to love in A Skylit Drive were kept to a minimum in this album, and they sounded almost like a pop band to be honest... Great talented musicians in this band... I just don't know what they were thinking with this album.

A Skylit Drive has often been referenced to a mix of blessthefall and Alesana... If they were looking to change that, they definitely did, but in my opinion, not for the better... They've gone too far from their roots, and just sound too pop-ish for my tastes... I still love the band, and hope to buy another CD from them, just I'm hoping they go back to a style similar to Wires and the Concept of Breathing... I definitely am still looking forward to hearing their OLD songs live, the only song I can say I really enjoyed from this album was the introduction song, as it got me pumped, but I quickly lost the adrenaline as the album continued... If this album was stolen or lost I don't think I'd buy it again, where as I'd make sure to rebuy any of ASD's previous albums... A Skylit Drive... Go back to your old style...

Hybrid_Xer0
    Very nicely done. I agree with everything. Wires is probably my favourite, but the new album is crap.
    penner
    I agree with you. Something went downhill with this album. I loved Wires a lot, listened to it everyday over and over again. Something went wrong with this album and I think you nailed it. Although there a couple songs I like, and I do like the band a lot, I will still probably listen to Wires a lot more than this one.
    i_disappear_209
    the album felt like jag had more freedom to... well, explore his range. And I think it hurt the band musically.
    ninjagayden777
    Switching to Fearless (owners of such "great" bands as Mayday Parade, Sparks The Rescue, etc.) might be behind the sound change. Poppy label mates can kill a band's heavy.
    hayz_182
    The first track of this album is sick as though! agreed? The rest isn't that great though. In my opinion ASD's best song is "Drown The City" off their EP. I haven't given Wires... that much of a listen though, what are the best tracks on it? It sounded rather "unmastered" when i first listened to it i think...?
    qotsa1998
    I definitely liked Wires, and comparing Wires to the amazing EP they did, its obvious that Jag took the band in a different direction. But from what Ive heard from this album, it isnt exactly in a good direction. It really is too bad that Jordan left, a full-length album like She Watched the Sky would've been just amazing imo.
    jsaatsaz
    Wires is definitely my favorite. This one wasn't bad, but it didn't quite do it for me.
    killadroid
    I was going to write a review...But everything I was going to say has been laid out already. Thanks man
    metal_666_man
    i didnt think it was that bad to be honest, wires was still where they defined them selves as a band with jag and turned out amazing but they just didnt follow up as good as i was hoping for, id give this a 7.5
    loveguitar2494
    I really liked this album but I could see how their fans of She Watched the Sky and Wires would be disappointed because I believe they were trying to go a little more mainstream with their music. For example certain songs like Drown the CIty (which is my fav. song by them) aren't really accessible to the more mainstream crowd and this album was their attempt to do just that, get more fans!
    reaper_x
    Meh. Wires (in my honest opinion) was better than She Watched The Sky. Which instantly makes Wires better than Adelphia. Something just doesn't seem right in SWTS. Jordan's voice just gives me a headache (in all seriousness). I enjoy Jag's voice much more. However, Adelphia is a terrible release from such a talented band. I'm dissapointed, A Skylit Drive.