...And Don't Forget To Breathe review by A Static Lullaby

• Released: Jan 28, 2003
A Static Lullaby: ...And Don't Forget To Breathe

Imagine From Autumn To Ashes merging with The Used and you'd have some kind of idea what ASL sound like - some kind of emocore/metalcore hyrid. There aren't any innovations as such, just the pounding drums, the powerful bass and aggressive screaming. It all blends together to form quite a punishing record, with killer riffs and energetic rhythms. It's not really original, but it's damn good, and at times pretty heavy.

When you first listen to this record, whether you've downloaded a track or whether you bought it, you can't make out a large number of the lyrics. If you read them, however, you instantly notice how great they are. They're really emotional and poetic (most of the songs were written about a long-term relationship the singer had a few years ago), and this is what gives the band it's part emo style. In this way, theyre pretty similar to bands like FATA. To me, lyrics like this are the best kind, and it's even better when you've got a great vocalist who can sing and scream (as well as whisper, talk normally and shout) really well. I've heard people criticise the screaming on this album, but I really don't think thats deserved. Great lyrics and great voice.

I really love this album, it's definitely one of my favourites and one that I can never fail to be impressed by. The best songs are probably "Love to Hate, Hate to Me", "The Shooting Star That Destroyed Us All" and the amazing "Charred Fields of Snow". It's loud and punishing, but still manages to maintain a certain air of purposeful beauty. A great album, with very little flaws.