...And Don't Forget To Breathe Review

9.7
 9.6
 9.7
...And Don't Forget To Breathe Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2004

Sound: Not for all those kids who like to hardcore dance, but you could if you wanted to, the drums keep a rythym and dont just hit things alot and go with the guitar. The drummer sticks with the bass, the bass follows the rythym guitar, and then the lead guitarist follows himself, but somehow it sounds really good. They did their own metal thing, and I like it. // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were kinda emo, but then I started actually listening and they're pretty damn good, I like the mix of screaming, and then singing. It's pretty cool, cause they have like three people singing, it sounds pretty good, it might be two, but it sounds like three. The lead has good range, from screaming, to whispering and then just regular screaming, but at least you can understand it, half the time, I can't hear anything Norma Jean is singing. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that they're and excellent band, good music, ok lyrics, nice range of music style, not all hardcore and industrial sounding, but alot of skill needed to play some of the parts. I think "Lipgloss and letdown" is probably the best song on the album, and the shooting star that destroyed us all. My favorite is charred fields of snow, I don't know, it just sounds really good. I love everything about the album except the first song, the intro sounds like a bus with bad breaks, but then it goes into really cool riffs. If I lost this album, I'd go get it again, the same day, I couldn't live without it, now that I have it. It is definitely worth buying if you're into metal, but not if all you want is just screaming. So go buy it, and this isn't for emo kids, so f*** off. // 10

...And Don't Forget To Breathe Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on march 16, 2004

Sound: Imagine From Autumn To Ashes merging with The Used and you'd have some kind of idea what ASL sound like - some kind of emocore/metalcore hyrid. There aren't any innovations as such, just the pounding drums, the powerful bass and aggressive screaming. It all blends together to form quite a punishing record, with killer riffs and energetic rhythms. It's not really original, but it's damn good, and at times pretty heavy. // 10

Lyrics: When you first listen to this record, whether you've downloaded a track or whether you bought it, you can't make out a large number of the lyrics. If you read them, however, you instantly notice how great they are. They're really emotional and poetic (most of the songs were written about a long-term relationship the singer had a few years ago), and this is what gives the band it's part emo style. In this way, theyre pretty similar to bands like FATA. To me, lyrics like this are the best kind, and it's even better when you've got a great vocalist who can sing and scream (as well as whisper, talk normally and shout) really well. I've heard people criticise the screaming on this album, but I really don't think thats deserved. Great lyrics and great voice. // 10

Overall Impression: I really love this album, it's definitely one of my favourites and one that I can never fail to be impressed by. The best songs are probably "Love to Hate, Hate to Me", "The Shooting Star That Destroyed Us All" and the amazing "Charred Fields of Snow". It's loud and punishing, but still manages to maintain a certain air of purposeful beauty. A great album, with very little flaws. // 10

...And Don't Forget To Breathe Reviewed by: savethemonkes, on march 11, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is amazeing, the threading between screaming and singing could not have been better. It consists mostly of screamo influences, but combines good instrumental and vocal aspects at the same time. For their first album ASL has made music that sounds as if they have been together for ages. I would compare them to The Used meets the Misfits (without the horror punk rock sound) with a whole lot of screaming. // 10

Lyrics: If you pay attention to the lyrics of the songs they hold a somewhat deep and sentimental meaning, as well as a get the f--k out of my sight attitude. The band has three vocalists and uses them almost every minute of the album. All three of them seem to scream no matter what, but it adds to the authenticity of the work and could not be any better. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definately on my top ten list, next to The Used and Hawthorne Heights. If you were to buy this album (which I recomend you do) I would say that you should go through every song at least once. My two favorite songs on this album would be "Annunciate While You Masticate" and "Lipgloss And Letdown." I love this album because it fuses singing and screaming together. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again, not waiting to get to the store to buy it. Can't wait for the next one! // 10

...And Don't Forget To Breathe Reviewed by: LisTenToThriCe, on july 02, 2005

Sound: ASL has a very good sound, they have a lot of potential as musicians. They have above average guitarists but the thing that really stands out is the drummer. Some of the most complex drum beats can be heard in this band. One problem I have is the screamer sounds fake sometimes, I still enjoy his scream but at times it seems wrong, I don't know how to put it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emotional. Most of them are broken heart songs, but are really not that cliche. I love these lyrics because most bands sound stupid singing (or screaming) them because they're extremely bland and overdone. ASL has very good lyricists and despite the fact that the lyrics are about heartbreak and love, it still sounds original and is very good. All three of the singers are constantly singing and are very good at it. The lead singer and screamer have good voices. But, as I said above, at times the screamer sounds fake. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very solid album with an intense amount of energy. ASL is going in the right direction with this album, unfortunately, they threw it all away with the 2005 release "Faso Latido." Stand out tracks include: A Sip Of Wine Chased With Cyanide, We Go To Eleven, Love To Hate, Hate To Me, and A Song For A Broken Heart. I would definetly buy it again if stolen. I recommend fans of hardcore and/or screamo buy this. // 10

...And Don't Forget To Breathe Reviewed by: legions, on october 20, 2005

Sound: This CD was what turned me on too "heavier music" even though this isnt a very haevy CD, it's just what got me interested in different music. This CD is absolutely amazing, there isnt one flaw at all, the drumming is superb and the guitar is just way cool and badass. Their screamer is like the best screamo vocalist out there. Their lyrics are just so passionate and beautiful I love this band and this CD. But if you heard Faso Latido before you heard this you need to go back and listen to this, because they are 2 completely different CD's Faso Latido is completely horrible and I dont even know how such musicians could've produced that crap. but this CD is awesome and it should be in everyone's collection. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so good and very very very well written they are not cliched at all. They are mostly about heart break and emo stuff, but the way the write the lyrics just makes the music so much better. Also the screamer is very talented and the singer. Oh boy, he's good. Very good clean singing voice. I love te lyrics and the singing. // 10

Overall Impression: At the time this CD came out, it blew away all of the competition in the screamo/rock catagory. The most impressive songs would have to be "Withered" and "A Song For A Broken Heart," seriously those songs are so damn good, and they get you so pumped up. I love every single thing about this CD, from the drumming to the vocals and the guitar. This CD is an absolute masterpiece. If someone were to steal this CD from me, I would hunt them down and beat them furiously and skin them alive with a dull hunting knife, that's how much this CD means to me. And if I were to lose it, I would be so disappointed in myself. But I would definitly go buy it again. Even though I think it might be hard to get a hold of now-a-days. I'm telling you, it's a masterful work of art that every rock/screamo fans needs in their collection. So go get it today. // 10

...And Don't Forget To Breathe Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2007

Sound: Well overall I like the sound ASL produces because they can be be singing one minute then screaming the other. The drumming to this album is amazing the beats really make the singer and guitars stand out. The bass is also amazing example would be the verse bass lines on "lipgloss and letdown". The guitars are also pretty good the best guitars are either on "Charred Fields Of Snow" or "The Shooting Star That Destroyed Us". The sound in general strays away from the typical sing scream formula. The screams in "Charred Fields Of Snow" are not only unsettling but bloodcurdling. // 8

Lyrics: The singer is amazing, he manages to make the songs not sound all whiny but manages to capture the raw emotion. The lyrics most deal with heartache but don't they don't sound all hawthorne heights. Songs like "Lipgloss And Letdown" have some pretty sad likes like "and I'm sorry that you cried so hard darling, I'll never hurt you again". The whole opening verse to A shooting star that destroyed us is amazing. Deff one of the best lyrics I heard in a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: Even though they scream and sing they don't repeat the sing scream formula so many bands these day live by. They match it up and it's awesome the screams are awesome the singing is tight. If this was stolen /lost I'd deff go out and by it again what I don't like about this band is the fact that they released a perfect debut but failed to deliver with Faso Latido. // 10

Comments