Sleeping Tigers Review

A Verse Unsung: Sleeping Tigers
Release Date: Nov 6, 2007
Label: Somnio Artists Group
Genres: Rock
A Verse Unsung is back again with their sophomore release "Sleeping Tigers". They have grown up and so has their sound.
 7.9
 5.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Sleeping Tigers Reviewed by: greendayman1, on july 05, 2008

Sound: A Verse Unsung plays an almost familiar but fairly unique mix of pop rock. The first thing I told my friends when I listened to this, was, oddly enough, a singer that reminded me of the dude from Taking Back Sunday playing in a band that really liked Franz Ferdinand and who bought the same distortion pedals of a new-metal band (sorry, I couldn't find the damn umlaut while I typed, so I had to write new in English). // 5

Lyrics: On the album Sleeping Tigers we have elements of melodic hardcore (without the screaming), nineties metal (without the double bass), acoustic breaks, and harmonies that remind me once in awhile of Queen. Generally, these ideas come off very well. The songs are consistent and appropriately complex. The only real flaw here is that they are a little too similar, which is unfortunately a major problem in this particular meeting of genres. Luckily, they come out of the slump to pull out several distinguished tracks, including the opener Surround Me, as well as Resolve to Fight and A Better Place. However, there are five songs between the first two tracks I just mentioned (A Better Place is immediately after Resolve to Fight), and it's very easy for a casual listener to get bored in that amount of time. // 5

Overall Impression: It sounds like the real issue with the band was that they just didn't have enough material. Maybe the tracks that are a little too similar in style and structure should have been picked over and kept as b-sides. I think we can expect and impressive follow up as the A Verse Unsung gains some songwriting experience and builds up a fan base, and that as they grow as a band, Sleeping Tigers will gain in notoriety. // 7

Comments