Survivalist review by Abacabb

• Released: Jan 19, 2009
Abacabb: Survivalist

Abacabb have a heavy grab-your-attention deathcore sound, if you're fans of bands such as Whitechapel or Winds of Plague then this band will fit into your humble music library nicely. Upon first hearing Abacabb, the driving double-kick with the palm-mute and low death growls catch your attention as a tightly precise band. They have written 10 songs to throwdown and thrash to, a must have to people who love to hear technical harmonized guitar riffs and the need to push the fella next to you into the mosh pit. Top favourites of the album due to their structure and angst are "Addiction", "Infection", and "Articulation".

Abacabb's lyrics resolve mostly around mortality, bravery, and brotherhood. Here's an excerpt from "Survival": We are survivalists But we're all still going to die We are survivalists They can kill us but not our pride Nobody is immortal Everyone will surely die So don't get too attached to anyone For when they let you down, You will still have me inside They're lyrics are excellently written, the only problem is that the vocals are a little weak. The vocals lend it's girth in the songs, amplifying where the musics needed. Unfortunately the mono-tone growling blends the songs together to almost unrecognition between songs.

Abacabb are an upcoming attention-grabbing Deathcore band that's presence is known for their harcore sound, death growls, and punching guitar riffs. An almost typical deathcore sound, but different in their own way. They've toured America and Canada with bands such as Despised Icon and After The Burial, and are currently signed to Sumerian Records.

LightxGrenade
    I almost want to become a huge fan simply because I remember this mortal kombat code they named themselves after. Just checked out the songs on their myspace and they're ok, nothing special and I really don't hear the Winds of Plague comparison at all but it's not horrible. It's just nothing incredible or unique
    EpiExplorer
    Abacabb are an upcoming attention-grabbing Deathcore band
    Apparently ever deathcore band is up and coming.
    Ibanezrocker800
    this is their first album release. how is this not an upcoming band?
    EpiExplorer
    Ibanezrocker800 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Abacabb are an upcoming attention-grabbing Deathcore band Apparently ever deathcore band is up and coming. this is their first album release. how is this not an upcoming band?
    Most deathcore is a sort of long-term one hit wonder, really. Those bands who start pretty early give up 5 years later.
    Echoplex
    Deathcore is a stagnant genre. Even the supposed "progressive" deathcore bands such as Veil of Maya (stole their name from the much superior Cynic) sound exactly the same as their contemporaries. This is especially apparent on this band's label, Summerian Records. All of those bands sound the same.
    Shredder Guitar
    I love this album. It's so fun, and actually pretty original. That instrumental messes with your heard. Also, the pitch drop "squeal" growl thing on "Regression" is such an awesome moment in metal.