Geeving review by Abandon All Ships

• Released: Oct 5, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Abandon All Ships: Geeving

Even if you don't care for what Abandon All Ships is bringing to the musical table, the Canadian band deserves to be commended for combining seemingly opposing genres. Before cueing up the sextet's debut record Geeving, you should know that there are two styles you need to embrace fully: metalcore and techno/dance. You definitely can't be opposed to the autotune phenomenon, either. Abandon All Ships utilizes autotuning just as frequently as the double bass pedal, which makes for a bizarre recipe. It's a novel approach that eliminates any separation between the synth/pop and metal world, but it all gets a bit much to absorb at times. Abandon All Ships wastes little time driving home its very distinct amalgamation of genres, with the opening track Bro My God morphing from metalcore to trance to pop. The autotuning shows up in this track as well as a good deal of the other offerings, while growled vocals vacate the other moments. These are two defined styles that in many ways clash. That's not to say that a particular audience won't eat it up in fact, that's a guarantee. I'm willing to take a bet that the vast majority will be opposed to at least one side of the equation, however, be it the techno quality or the growled metalcore moments. On the plus side, Abandon All Ships does take a fresh approach to song arrangement on the whole. Megawacko 2.0 includes everything from Dime-bag guitar grooves to a ravers' techno dream. It takes some talent to blend such eclectic styles together, but Abandon All Ships does a competent job. As far as radio singles, the best shot will likely be Guardian Angel, which is the only track on the album that could feasibly be sold as a pure pop track. Geeving includes a solid list of guest performers, but these artists are never utilized enough. In the case of Family Goretrait, Protest The Hero's Rody Walker shows up to lend the most appealing vocal tracks on the entire CD, but he then disappears. Replacing where he should be is the often grating autotune vocal track, and it seems like a missed opportunity to add more variety to the band's arrangements. Likewise, Guardian Angel features t.A.T.u.'s Lena Katrina, but once again her appearance is all-too-short and sweet.

Because you have two opposing musical sounds, the lyrics follow that same trend. When clean vocalist Martin Broda is at the mic, there is a more hopeful approach to the content. For example, in Guardian Angel he croons, I'll be there watching from way up high; The shadow you can't see when the suns in the sky; Wondering eyes have no disguise; It's obvious that this love never dies. It's a stark contrast from growler Angelo Aita, who takes opportunities to deliver such lines as, You'll die alone or I came to party. Odd bedfellows to be sure, but the album is intriguing in a way because of it.

You'll be sold or repulsed fairly quickly when listening to the first few moments of Geeving. This is not a middle-of-the-road, benign rock band by any stretch of the imagination. There is certainly a sense of creativity in the band's endeavor, but the excessive autotuning also feels like they are following fads. Geeving has its moments, but the negatives tend to overshadow the positives in this case.

Paddles
    bassbeat77
    I had the misfortune of seeing these guys because they opened for Protest the Hero. I died a little inside that day.
    SkylitGavin
    IMO this is a pretty good album. Definetely not my favourite but it has some good points.
    r0ckth3d34n
    KataklysmDeth wrote: Paddles wrote: uninsane_guitar wrote: Oh my god this band sucksssss!!!!! My friend Niko (who I used to be in a band with) showed me this band and I was liking it until the fuc king autotuned singing came in! I was instantly thinking oh my god, Justin Bieber is singing in a "hardcore" band now? Seriously, these guys are such CRAP! Yet another crappy export from Canada. I think Rush and Protest the Hero need to become naturalized US citizens so we can just close the border with Canada and stop their shit music from infiltrating the United States. Kindly suck it. Canada has a ton of great bands that have nothing to do with this shit. Correction they have ONE good band. Rush.
    Ignorance. I think Silverstein and Lights are incredibly good.
    amonamarthmetal
    Sam Rulez D00d
    amonamarthmetal wrote: im canadian and i dont like this band, they have a couple good parts in their songs but i dont like a full song by them. just just have one part in all their songs that sucks, ill stick with better bands that have the same sounds like we came as romans
    if you think WCAR is good, go check out The Color Morale, or Our Last Night. you'll be blown away
    metalmatt929
    people bitch about music too much for their own good, i dont care what you do or dont like to be compleatly honest. just apreciate music for what it is, a good time. its not a contest to see who can complain the loudest. i like this band i like all music, good job abandon all ships
    SatanPriest
    I just had to listen to these guys judging from the review, and it was exactly what I was expecting. Terrible; terrible music, terrible video. Just another cliche pop band jumping on the bandwagon of trying to combine the modern teenagers' new favorite things; br00tal breakd0wns, Lil Wayne, and a sense of fashion that's trying to mix tranny/glam with ghetto. If old school Korn tried dressing up like Motley Crue and featured T-Pain, I imagine they would end up like these guys.
    r0ckth3d34n
    It's not that bad. It's way better than what Attack Attack! threw down last summer, but it doesn't even come close to the other Rise Record nooby releases from Scarlett O'Hara, Sleeping With Sirens and Woe, Is Me.
    crazysam23_Atax
    uninsane_guitar wrote: Darkkon wrote: It's about time Attack Attack changed their band name. LMFAO!
    Can't we sue them for assaulting our ears these days? I mean, they just suck that bad...
    TheLifeguard
    I wanted to bottle this band off stage when they opened for Protest the Hero. Absolute garbage live.
    Archeros
    corrda00
    I call theses guy abandon the club. Cause thats what we did when they opened for protest the hero.
    Andrax20
    I saw these guys last night. And they were ****ing horrible. The biggest wase of a night I've ever. They kept us waiting for 45 minutes because they couldn't find their headsets which they use for click tracks. We were all swearing at them to play a song, and after their setlist, they called us "Dicks" and didn't play an encore. Fuck these guys. Fucking Much Music *****s.
    Bjorney
    saw them a long time ago back when martin was their drummer. the vocalist went around mouthing off at kids who didn't want to sign his peta petitions, and because the vocals cut out twice for ~3 seconds he spent the rest of the set (~20 minutes) yelling about how shitty the venue was instead of the actual lyrics
    TsarBomba
    lol at considering yourself a music fan, let alone a rational human being, when you make uninformed comments about an entire country's music scene. And I don't get why these guys would require an open mind. Everyone and their mother can at least see the base appeal in a catchy melody, and they have plenty of (dumb, overused) melodies. Why do people settle for music that is infinitely stupid in its catchiness when there are bands that have great songwriting that is also accessible? It doesn't take an open mind to find lowest common denominator bands who bring nothing new to the table.
    disembodied
    EpiExplorer wrote: ARRRRRG, ENTER SHIKARI, WHAT HAVE YOU DOOOOONE..... I'll stick to the slightly better Blood Stain Child for cheesy synth pop meets really cheesy pop metal.. Wait, what the hell am I saying, ITS ALL TERRIBLE.
    shikari is the best!!!!! all these new bands are just terrible knock offs. makes me sick
    taylorhindman
    KataklysmDeth
    Correction they have ONE good band. Rush.
    jlyndon666
    You know, I'm getting sick and tired of how our society has turned. Instead of liking someone for their talent's, we accept their style/looks first. Nevermind if he/she can actually carry a note, nope. It's all about how they look. Pop has become a f**ing joke! Now ppl are passing over into the metal scene. I admit one of their songs are catchy,(don't remember the name)but for me, I consider anyone who was featured on disband, or whatever the hell it's called, is just a PRODUCT. Nothing more. It sickens me on how talented, very talented ppl get over looked because they don't fit into a certain image. That's why I love metal!! Now however, it seems that this bullshxt has leaked into what we love and consider our family.
    reaper_x
    bassbeat77 wrote: I could put out an album of me banging pots and pans together, and I could probably be good at it, but that doesn't mean I should do it.
    Whatever my ears like, I listen to. If you were to bang a few pots together and it sounded lovely, I'd probably listen to it. Hell, I listen to dub - and that sounds like someone playing around with a wah pedal on some trippy overdrive along with a basic beat.
    reaper_x
    TrayBeatz wrote: reaper_x wrote: bassbeat77 wrote: Hell, I listen to dub - and that sounds like someone playing around with a wah pedal on some trippy overdrive along with a basic beat. my boy.
    TrayBeatz
    my boy.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    synestershadows wrote: I can't believe Structures agreed to tour with this joke of a band.
    thats just ignorant, structures is an amazing band who are up and coming and need recognition, abandon all ships is pretty much blowing up selling out shows everywhere, the guys from structures would be idiots to pass that up
    jlyndon666
    jlyndon666 wrote: efferus wrote: This is the kind of garbage the record labels continue to shove down our collective throats. With all the talented bands that exist in Toronto, this is the kind of group that gets signed? No wonder people think Canada has nothing of value to offer the music scene... Exactly!
    To add to my post: It's not just Toronto that has great bands either. Like I said earlier ina post. it's all about image, not the talent.
    Exactly!
    efferus
    bassbeat77
    reaper_x wrote: Eh, they're good at what they do. Actually, they're brilliant at what they do. And this is coming from a pop/rock kinda guy, haha.
    Savage Animal
    taylorhindman wrote: Savage Animal wrote: damn, was hoping this 'metalcore' would die in 2k10 feel like ppl need to expand their 'taste' b4 they become a cliche You're not abbreviating 2010 when it has the same number of characters. 2k20=2010 ha
    don't think you 'get' it
    squareimage
    tepelsteeltje wrote: Savage Animal wrote: damn, was hoping this 'metalcore' would die in 2k10 feel like ppl need to expand their 'taste' b4 they become a cliche OH THE IRONY
    win.
    TrayBeatz
    been listening to this album for two days, really into it. great production. great songwriting. i'd recommend it for anybody who actually likes metalcore/electronica styled music.. MUSIC. its a good listen. its not super technical, so if you want that you should probably just go listen to necrophagist or something and stop bashing a good band.
    KataklysmDeth
    Archeros wrote: NakedBassist wrote: Panasonic3 wrote: i always wanted to do some extreme dubstep death metal project. something like bassnectar meets nile meets protest the hero. Check out Commissioner, the singer from suicide silence's side project. Death-step haha this: http://www.myspace.com/commissionermusic... ..what is this, I can't.. I actually like it?
    Whatever that is. it's shit
    Ranmanbassist18
    i havent liked this band since i heard them while watching disband. I didn't like them even more when i noticed their terrible cocky attitude and pathetic excuse of a metal band. I hope they dissolve in the music industry within the 2011 year because this is stuff we just cant have representing Canada lol. Alexisonfire , billy talent , tragically hip , protest , are some bands i compare with to awesome Canadian bands .
    slipknot4adam
    worst band ever. I asked the guitar player after one of their shows how he could afford a custom SG at such a young stage of the band. He then responded with "huh, what do you mean?" i responded quite promptly with "well, you only played open the whole time, i assumed you had a custom to get rid of unwanted frets." case and point, worst band ever.
    Bananafish003
    Opposing genres? since when do you consider dance and metal opposing? they've been in cahoots for a while now, pumping out godawful crunkcore for far too long... Needless to say, these guys suck...I was forced to see them while I waited for Protest the Hero to come on at a show and immediately half the audience moved to the back of the room to get as far away as possible from the monstrosity.
    jollyca
    I only listened to one track and I must say: "Dear God, why are they using that cheap tremolo on the voice?!" Is the whole album like this?!
    lethaldosage45
    I still don't know how I feel about these guys or Attack Attack! Such a strange combo of styles and the auto-tune deal just makes me think that they can't actually sing.
    User_Name336
    its actually not all that revolutionary. in my area (which this band is from), there were at least 15-20 local bands doing this sound for well over 10 years (one of mine included until our break up a few years ago). there's a few bigger names doing it as well. these guys changed their sound to this to win on the tv show disband (love that show). dont get me wrong, its a solid album and i enjoy it. but i hate the praise they get for being unique. its nothing new. especially to us in southern ontario. we've been doing it far longer than they have. they got it from us.
    EpiExplorer
    krvolok
    Wow this is perverse as a non-Euclidean pillar mated with a Deep One.
    uninsane_guitar
    Oh by the way, I quit that kid Niko's band because it turns out he just wanted us to be a bunch of hardcore dancing scenies. When your vocalist gets pissed off at you because you're not headbanging in time with him and you're not doing "crabcore" moves enough, and throws out your riffs because they're "too technical" and instead writes a three note cheesy riff even Billie Joe Armstrong would laugh at and then the 400th breakdown in a song is added, it's time to quit. Still a good friend of mine, but damn he has horrible taste in music lol.