Infamous review by Abandon All Ships

• Released: Jul 3, 2012
Abandon All Ships: Infamous

Abandon All Ships' sound has managed to change somewhat from their first two releases, with keyboards becoming just as prevalent as the guitars. The band has also managed to add in elements of hip-hop into a couple of songs (mostly noticeable on the albums first single "Infamous" featuring A-Game. While A-Game's contribution was listenable it was quite unnecessary. The other big change in sound is Martin Broda's vocal contributions. Not only is he singing almost as often as frontman Angelo Aita is screaming (Martin also took over lead vocals for the song "August") but in a few song's his voice has less autotune on a couple of songs. The biggest change in the band's sound would have to be the guitar work, and while not quite as heavy, Abandon All Ships' new guitarist Daniel Ciccotelli has done quite well considering he is filling the shoes of 2 exceptional guitarists (Daniel was initially the replacement for lead guitarist Kyler Browne, and took over all guitar duties when Andrew Paiano was fired from the band a while later).

The songwriting has gotten a little bit lackluster compared to their first full length release (2010's "Geeving") but the combination of both singer's very different vocal presentations mixes together seemlessly. I should also point out that frontman Angelo Aita has improved his vocal range from their previous releases. While it is still uncommon to have 2 vocalists in a band (though it's not as rare as it used to be) Abandon All Ships makes it work quite well (though I can imagine it gets frustrating during the recording process, especially since this band is known for being headstrong at times.

Overall there is little change from their previous work. But in some cases that is not really a bad thing for this band considering that this combination of music has not been done too often yet. I do really enjoy everything about this album and this band and I would buy this album again if need be. My only major criticism is that Abandon All Ships needs to come up with longer songs (I'd like to see them become headliners but you can't do it with only an hour's worth of music in your discography). The best songs on this album are: "Good Old Friend", "August", and "Brothers For Life".

Metallidethium
    Highelf04
    iammclovin
    Highelf04 wrote: Geeving was a far superior release I really liked AAS, however in my opinion they really dicked this release up The guitar work is really lack-lustre, all Daniel Ciccotelli seems to do is pump the same chords, and not use any riffs at all. Both Andrew Paiano and Kyler worked better, as they actually played something more than just drop tuned chords Angelo's screaming has gotten worse as well They really did dick this album up Next one will be make or break for them
    Spot on, coudn't agree more.
    Notstarboard11
    I'm going to be honest - I am a huge fan of Geeving. It was a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I legitimately enjoyed it. Infamous though... it flat out SUCKS. Insultingly bad guitar parts (see American Holocaust), poor mixing (Faded, for example, was a flat out wall of noise... there was no definition), and corny lyrics were the norm. There's a reason why the UG rating for Geeving is 6.2 and Infamous is only a 3.4.
    ElvenLord
    Not being a hater, Geeving had a couple okay songs, but this album just plain sucks. They tried to mix absolutely everything in one album... And surprise surprise... It doesn't work !
    EpiExplorer
    Apparently agreeing with people is a bad thing D:?
    thwump64
    EpiExplorer wrote: Anything on Rise records is a quick cash-in on whats popular.
    In Rise's defense, both Hot Water Music, and Make Do And Mend are with them. Both great punk bands. Doesn't forgive them the crabcore stuff though.
    dschuler36
    Anything on Rise records is a quick cash-in on whats popular.
    XtractionProces
    EpiExplorer wrote: Metallidethium wrote: For once, I agree with EpiExplorer in the sense that this band is simply trying to cash in on a trend. Not all of Rise Records is that way but AAS has no heart and they are in it for the money and fame. I actually liked most of Geeving but this just blows. Apparently agreeing with people is a bad thing D:?
    Only agreeing with you, because you're evil Liked a couple of the songs. Or at least I would have if not for the screaming. August and Infamous are listenable though
    Martindecorum
    dschuler36 wrote: Anything on Rise records is a quick cash-in on whats popular. I wouldn't say that's completely true. Bands such as Transit are on Rise, and they are off a completely different genre.
    Not really a different genre, some nice upbeat stuff but nothing unique
    Iommianity
    I'd say these guys need to pack it in and go home, but their home is my home, so please, stay on the road.
    EyesWideOpen
    I love how every comment that insulted this band was voted up but mine was voted down to hell. Wow...