Strychnine.213 Review

Aborted: Strychnine.213
Released: Jun 24, 2008
Genre: Brutal Death Metal
Label: Century Media
Strychnine.213 is the sixth studio album by the Belgian death metal band Aborted, released on June 24, 2008 through Century Media Records.
 8.8
 8.7
 8.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Strychnine.213 Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on october 09, 2008

Sound: Aborted, a five member band from Belgium, has always been a favorite of mine. The brutality and speedy death metal feel they portray in every CD the music has stayed the same since the first album in 1999. My friend who I have been attending concerts with since the age of 13 has been a big influence on me in terms of music. He was the one to introduce me to Aborted through the CD entitled "Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done" (2003) and I found a new and brutal band to add to my listening list. The album consists of 11 songs including a Pantera cover "Slaughtered" and it adds onto the brutality even more. The thing other musicians may find new and interesting is the mix between clean guitar, death metal, and kind of a Sepultura feel collaboration of music. All of the songs in essence are the same but incorporate different genres which makes each individual track more interesting than the other. // 8

Lyrics: With a name like Aborted, you could definetley expect brutality, which is why "death, gore, religion and violence" are their main lyrical themes (which makes the music twice as enthralling and aesthetically pleasing to the ear). Such lyrical cuts like "The symbolism of misanthropy. it's foul nature revealed. Insane? Indoctrinate-Religiously I decapitate... " from the second track entitled "Ophiolatry On A Hemocite Platter" emphasizes the lyrical power they have had for years. The members Sven de Caluwe (other bands: In-quest, Anal Torture, Leng Tch'e, Whorecore, They:Swarm) who is on lead vocals who is also accompanied by the vocal talent of Sebastian "Seb Purulator" Tuvi - (other bands: Aosoth, Garwall, Genital Grinder, Maleficentia, Balrog, VI) who is also on lead guitar have a good combined vocal collage of high and lowpitch screams that are completely in time with each other. it's very impressive to me indeed. // 9

Overall Impression: I think Aborted shows a lot of diversity for another death metal artist, then again they sound like any other band. They sound a lot like The Acacia Strain and Nile mixed... if you can imagine what that sounds like. A couple of the members (Sven de Caluwe and Peter Goemaere) are in a side band called Leng Tche, yet another grindcore band from Belgium, I will write a review for their releases as well (just you wait) but yeah they compare somewhat to other artists in different ways. The most impressive cuts from the album are the Pantera cover "Slaughtered", "Hereditary Bane" and "A Murmer In Decrepit Wits". A murmer has a melodic death metal feel to it, kinda like In Flames would be but a lot faster, it's an impressive change in ways for Aborted. I love the fact that they came out with another album, there's always that underlying fear (for all bands) that they will just stop producing albums, but not Aborted. it's speed and technical sound combined make for a great produced album with great sound quality by the way. I hate that the vocals didn't change too much, I always like a change in vocals, but it's cool the same vocalist has been around since the beginning. I would have to think about buying it again... it doesnt't really jump out at me, but I would definetley look for a cheaper copy, have fun with it ladies and gentleman! // 9

Comments