Back in Black review by AC/DC

• Released: Jul 25, 1980
AC/DC: Back in Black

Right off the bat, I'd like to state that I'm just a 16 year old kid who was born way after this kind of music, but I can appreciate good music, and realize that my generation has single handedly ruined rock and roll, among other kinds of music. But on to my review. I have always been a solid fan of AC/DC. Even before birth, my mom put headphones on her stomach, blasting albums like Back in Black, and Highway to Hell, so I think I qualify as a lifelong AC/DC fan. And the impression I get from the band is that they're probably one of, if not the greatest rock band of all time. Some people will bitch and moan that all AC/DC albums sound the same, but I think the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying applies here. AC/DC knew what they had was solid, and they never conformed to what was popular at the time, especially in the '80s. Young's songwriting is absolutely genious, considering the fact that in an interview with Gibson, he said he even made up some parts of the song on stage, and continues to do so today. That's about all I know. Now, don't get me started here. Angus Young was one of the main reasons I picked up the guitar, along with Randy Rhoads, but that's a different story. Angus Young is a musical genious, period. I would defend that statement with my life, too. In the same interview with Gibson, that I talked about earlier, they asked him what effects he used on stage and in recording. To which he replied, "None". That's right, all he uses, is his SG, and his Amp. Probably one of the most innovative rock and roll bands ever. Their sound has been copied many, many times, by myself included. But it has never, ever been duplicated. I realize that this is cock rock at it's worst, and I realize it demeans women, and I realize that it condones drug use and binge boozing. But you've gotta love it.

I kind of touched on this above, but I'll do it again. The lyrics are absolutely genious. They're extremely catchy, actually mean something, and are extremely distasteful in some instances. Everything rock and roll should be. This was a match made in heaven. The lyrics meld perfectly with the music. The music is always heavy, and never lets up, but Angus Young's voice can always be heard. Perfect, in every sense of the word perfect. Young's skills as a lyricist, his singing talent, and his extreme guitar playing ability have never been matched to this day. I would even go so far as to say AC/DC was a little better without Bon Scott, but I'm not sure on this one.

Nope. It shines alone. This album, among all other AC/DC albums has, and will continue to stand the test of time as one of the greatest rock and roll albums ever, right next to Appetite for Destruction, and Paranoid. If you're a fan of rock, and you don't own this album, or don't like AC/DC, piss off. Kids my age, think I'm weird for listening to nothing but old rock, like Ozzy, Sabbath, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc. But I think that's the only good kind of music. My generation has taken music, and killed it. My generation and MTV got together, and shot music in the head. And it's sad, but albums like this, I could listen to forever, so screw modern music. Who needs it? There is not one song on this album that doesn't totally rock the shit. Not one. But I do have some favorites: Have A Drink On Me, Back In Black, Hells Bells, What You Do For Money Honey, Givin' The Dog A Bone. What do I love? Everything. What do I hate? Nothing. I wasn't too fond of the track "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution", but I don't hate it. Absolutely perfect album. If I found who stole it, I'd rip the son of a bitches teeth out with pliers, then take my beloved CD back. I would cut them a little mercy, though, since evidently he had good taste in music if he stole it. To close this review, if you don't own this album, go find it. Now. This is an absolutely superb album, by one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

dimebagsmygod
    All you need to know is this is the second biggest selling album ever, this is one hell of a tribute to Bon Scott.
    peartdrummer
    DeMoNhUnTeRuLeS wrote: I believe that Master of Puppets was better
    You need to rethink your bands. But I still love Metallica!
    peartdrummer
    metal Lover wrote: Powerage FTW. I can't even listen to Brian Johnson's voice, it's so annoying
    Shut it.
    eggy1991
    Defiantely the best of Johnson's era so far. possibly AC/DC's best ever.
    spargmeister
    I agree with dakota1211, this is the most over rated AC/DC album ever. The only reason that so many people have bought it is because the song 'back in black' is featured on so many movies and comercials! Don't get me wrong, this is a great album, Hell's Bells is one of my favorite songs, and you can't go wrong with Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, but it's not up there with albums such as Highway to Hell, Flick of the Switch, Blow up Your Video, or The Razor's Edge.
    ace man
    I ****in' love this album. Thats an understatement actually...a big understatement. Put this album in your player (or on the turntable, for that authentic feel) and crank it up till you can see the walls vibrating and your ears are bleeding. Its a rock n' roll album, its a little bit metal with some funk and groove thrown in as well. You shouldn't declare yourself as a rock n' roll guitarist until you have mastered all the solos on Back in Black the album. Hasn't left my player for months
    M.B.MetalTabber
    This is the best album in the world, ever How can Michael Jacksons Thriller album sell more copies than AC/DC's Back In Black? That's ridiculous
    jfsj123
    bib was voted 2nd best riff after metallicas master of puppets in total guitar. BIB and highway t hell are much better riffs!