Black Ice review by AC/DC

• Released: Oct 20, 2008
AC/DC: Black Ice

I really like this album. Well worth the long 8 year wait. After 30+ years, AC/DC never really changed their style, but every album still has a different sound to it. When the band members say their songs belong together as an album, not individually, it's true. Every song flows nicely one into another. They have their similarities, but they're all different from one another and what we have heard in the past. What Brian said was also true, this album does show how versatile they can be. One thing we haven't heard before is Angus use a slide. Listen to Stormy May Day. It's a great song. It's definately AC/DC, but different. Another one is Rock N Roll Dream. It starts out kinda slow, then picks up a little. Another different one would be Anything Goes. It's a really good song too. The band sounds awesome in here. You hear Cliff a lot in here, Phil is steady as usual, and you just have to love the sound of Angus's SG and Malcolm's Gretsch. Brian sounds the best he has in a while, and I'll get to that shortly.

Before I start, I'd like to say something that's a little disapointing. Remember how a few years ago, Brian had said he was working on the lyrics for the first time since Blow Up Your Video. Doesen't look like that made the cuts. On the CD booklet, under the song list, you see something that has been truly familiar since the 1990s: 'All Songs Written by A. Young and M. Young'. Speaking about the lyrics, it's the same thing as usual. Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll. Simple, yet great. Even though Brian didn't write the lyrics, he sounds on top of his game on this one. I haven't heard his voice this good since The Razor's Edge. Hopefully it stays that way for the Black Ice World Tour.

I've said this already, and I'll say it again: I love this album. If it were stolen or lost, I'd be really mad since I just bought it yesterday. Every song on it is good, so there's no use in naming them all. I think the one I like the least would be Decibel. It sounds like a filler, but still belongs. If you were expecting Back In Black, forget it. I don't think we're ever going to see an album like that ever again. I'd put it in the same category as the Razor's Edge, but better. One little complaint is about Angus though. His solos are way shorter on this one compared to the other albums. They still sound good, but certain solos feel like they could have been extended a little. I'll still give it a 10 out of 10. I cannot wait until they go on tour again, and we won't wait long.

billweiser
    chaoticfables
    srvkicks@$$ wrote: i think they should pop out 5 or 6 albums more before they die of old age next year but seriously great album
    hahahahahahahhahaha !! love this album.
    countryboy1979
    AC/DC is by far my favorite band out there,and its been a long wait for new material but well worth it.I picked up Black Ice opening day and was taken back to that great feeling that just makes me turn the radio up whether I liked it or not.This album is everything I hoped for,it has classic AC/DC sound with a host of brand new songs to learn and get to know.Definitely two thumbs up!All I can say is I hope they don't wait as long for the next one.
    srvkicks@$$
    Shmuh
    Freebird79 wrote: The intro Stormy May Day Reminds me of 'In My Time of Dying'
    Really? Because it reminds me of every single other song they have released! What a crap album.
    Spab
    It's only at walmart.
    SnookM
    americablanco wrote: God...My I found out that my girlfriend got this for me but she's not going to hand it over until CHRISTMAS!
    Just go buy it anyway without telling her...
    SnookM
    Got it today for a tenner, amazing, the Youngs' tone has always been incredible but I think on this album they've got even better with a bit more gain and it rocks! Brian's voice seems a bit "dead" but he is 61. Bit disappointed with the album art/booklet but that's not really the point. Right, off to practice Stormy May Day on the WestField.
    americablanco
    God...My I found out that my girlfriend got this for me but she's not going to hand it over until CHRISTMAS! I'm going to be listening to the radio a lot more often now...
    M.B.MetalTabber
    billweiser wrote: Credit is due to the guys for delivering another album I will but eventually. Was listening to it in my car (as a friend let me borrow the CD) and I found that a handful of the songs are too long, they hardly ever mix up the tempo (yes I know it's called ACDC style, but come on!) and other than the obvious 3 chord styling of every song they write (whih I expected as I LOVE ACDC) but, I thought Phil could have offered a less of a tenuous performance on drums (Please look me in the face and say if you're a proper ACDC fan that you could not pick a handful of the drum beats on the album and say which previous of their songs it was taken/copied from. Otherwise, a very good performance for an album of B-Sides
    DUDE! An album of B-sides! :O It's a great album, and I personally rate it higher than their stuff in the late 80's. Great album, hope they make another at some point.
    hippie_guy
    frantic_saint
    SnookM wrote: Meant to get it yesterday but didn't have time, how much is it? Sounds great!
    like 12 bucks at wal mart
    Gammas1
    Elfraddor wrote: Gormanilius wrote: crazy got it a week ago and its so cool they still sound heavy either u downloaded it or your a lair it cam out on the 20th It was released on the 18th For Australia. A privilege that I used to the greatest effect I assure you ;]
    Even better in the Netherlands, where I live: The 17th. So I've had quite a bit of time to tisten to it and I think it's great! Who cares if it's repetative? Never change a winning team...
    rhyme2zone
    its a very nice album. the solos are some of the best. overall 9/10. it can get repetant but thats ac dc and its awesome
    Sudaka
    listening to it right now! IT ROCKS!! no matter what, ACDC the best
    damskippy
    As much as I love the "Thunder from down under", I gotta say I'm pretty underwhelmed by this latest offering. I got tickets for the Charlotte show, but damn, I hope it's better than this latest piece of work. Hardly any solos on this one, after eight long years, I thought they'd have done something a little more outstanding.
    playinbass1432
    vabrownsfan89 wrote: who are you people to rag on AC/DC for having rock n roll in half their song titles. its not like every death metal band on the ****ing planet isnt calling their songs "godrape" or "****ing massacre" or "i suck huge balls". To all you metal heads who insult AC/DC for making music that is similar and for singing about the same things, listen to your favorite bands and tell me all their bullshit double bass lines and the same worn out sweep patterns arent the same on all their songs. I could play you 15 different metal bands' songs and you couldnt tell me who the **** was playing them because they all sound EXACTLY THE SAME! the exact same thing is true for Emo music, and country music, and especially blues music. you find a style and format that works and you stick to it, its been that way since the beginning of music.
    I cracked up after the first three sentences.
    angusheeyaa35
    not a bad effort. a little conservative, but there's enough quality songs to make it a welcome contribution to their catalogue.
    gir vs wild
    Freebird79 wrote: The intro Stormy May Day Reminds me of 'In My Time of Dying'
    for a second i thought i was listening to led zep
    Gammas1
    Spab wrote: hippie_guy wrote: in Romania, we don't get most new rock albums... so we have to DL them... i'd buy this album, it's awesome, but i can't find it anywhere It's only at walmart.
    Yeah but since there are no walmarts outside the US, that won't do for the rest of the world. Here in Europe you can just buy it at your local record store.