Black Ice review by AC/DC

• Released: Oct 20, 2008
AC/DC: Black Ice

This, for me is the best AC/DC album since Back in Black. Realistically, it was never going to match the multi million selling masterpiece, but it has come closer than any other album after Back in Black. It's typical, but more modernised AC/DC I think. But it is not by any means too modern. I'd liked to have seen more face melting guitar solos simalar to 'Shake a leg' or 'TNT' But overall, it is excellant. The on;y thing I think what this album is missing is a real good blues song. Like the Jack, or Down Payment Blues, anyway, it's been worth he (very long) wait!

Angus and Malcolm's lyrics are dreadful -face it- but they suit the style of the band. But to be honest, to sum the lyrics up, it dosn't take very long- infact it takes three words- sex, drugs and rock n roll! Brian is singing really well- on rock n roll dream, especially. Infact, you woudn't have guessed that he was 33 when back in black was released, and that he's 61 now!

Overall, this is the 2nd best album for AC/DC with Brian Johnson. (after back in black of course) and I think it will be the last, or penultimate album for AC/DC. But if this is the last album, they will be leaving rock n roll on a high They've had 8 years, so it's their longest album to date, so I've picked the 'best' 5 tracks from it. Top 5 Tracks are 01.Rock n Roll Train: this is the best song on the album. It has a typical AC/DC riff, a great chorus, but why don't they call it runaway train? Answer: AC/DC have used the words Rockin' or Rock n Roll in the titles of over 15 of their songs, so, it's not unusual! It's also one of only handful of tracks that has a guitar solo in it on black ice... 02.War Machine: killer riff. And some good drumming at the start. A load of people say that AC/DC songs all sound the same, (such as Live Wire, and It's a long way to the top), which is the case with war machine & rock n roll train. Even so... great song! 03.Smash n Grab: smash, grab, take it, whiiiiillllle yyoooouuu ccccaaannnn... sort of gets stuck in your really, when you listen to it. 04.Rock n Roll Dream: another AC/DC song with rock n roll. And it's a ballad! the words 'AC/DC' and 'ballad' are like 'electricity' and 'water'- when they mix, something really nasty happens. Not in this case. This is in the territory of songs like 'You Shook me all night long' where Brian Johnson actually sings in a singing voice, rather than screaming in a singing voice if you know what I mean. 05.Stormy May Day: this song is a strange one- it has a Lynyrd Skynyrd style slide riff and no guitar solo- at all. Nevertheless, it is a great track, don't be fooled! If I lost it, yup, I'd buy it again. But I would pay an extra 5, for the special edition, it's not worth it.