Black Ice review by AC/DC

• Released: Oct 20, 2008
AC/DC: Black Ice

The sound is exactly what you'd expect from AC/DC: Pure, unadulterated rock 'n roll. That is what makes them such a popular band even to this day. Songs like "Rock 'N Roll Train", "War Machine", "Big Jack", and "Wheels" have that good old anthemic quality to them. In this album, though, AC/DC does slightly (very slightly) tinker with the formula. "Anything Goes", "Stormy May Day", and "Rock 'N Roll Dream" have a few different sounds to them, however, they all fit into the formula. I especially like the sound of "Rock 'N Roll Dream": It's slow and haunting, yet, it still is classic AC/DC, almost like the great Bon Scott track "Ride On". Other songs, like "Decibel", "She Likes Rock 'N Roll", and "Black Ice", are wonderfully bluesy and would not be out of place at a good old Kansas City blues club. I'll have some ribs with that, thank you very much.

For the most part, the lyrics are what you'd expect from the Brian Johnson era: Generic, yet fun to sing along to. There are some notable exceptions, however: "Rock 'N Roll Dream" is probably the most notable one. Yes, the title is quite lame, however, the lyrics are actually quite memorable, especially when Jonna sings the word "round" and you hear it echo many times, it was one of the best parts of the album, it was quite enjoyable. "War Machine" and "Big Jack" are the two double entredre tracks. When I first heard about there being a song called "War Machine" in the album, I thought, "Oh God, AC/DC's gone political." Fortunately, that is not the case. What "War Machine" and who "Big Jack" is, well, listen to other AC/DC songs like "Fire Your Guns". The object in question is a... cannon, of sorts. The two songs' lyrics revolve around these double entredres quite well and are beneficial to the songs. "Black Ice" has great lyrics, almost reminiscent of "Problem Child" is their content, Brian Johnson sings things like "I'm gonna rip it out", "gouge out your eyes", and "When the devil come a callin', I ain't gonna be around." Great stuff. The only problem is that Jonna's voice is still not pre-Blow Up Your Video levels. Of course, I doubt that they'll ever reach that point again, but still, it is of note. His voice has greatly improved though from where it was in Stiff Upper Lip, he does have a little more "umph" to it.

This is AC/DC's best album since "Flick of the Switch" (Which I honestly believe is an extremely underrated album that you must listen to.) However, it is no "Back in Black". Of course, I didn't really expect another "Back in Black". BiB is AC/DC's masterpiece, it's impossible to top, especially at this point in their careers. That being said, "Black Ice" is an excellent album. It easily surpasses the crap that is being played on the radio these days. Buy it, it is a must for any AC/DC fan, in fact, it's a must for anyone that likes rock music, or even just music. Best songs: "Rock 'N Roll Train", "War Machine", "Rock 'N Roll Dream", and "Black Ice".

ac/dc_voltage
    ACDC owns!! every other band sux ass compared to them! every other band can kiss Angus's ass!!
    ellendeling
    HardRockKid wrote: sorry for my double post but anything goes is a great song just cuz it sounds like the who+thunderstruck doestnt make it pop the only bad thing about it is that you cant hear the solo over the rythm =(
    Thats why you need to turn up the volume till youre ears bleed
    oldude55
    Tired and Old This ain't your father's AC-DC Tired-Tired, Tired and Old Time to Fold The Edge is Gone All Gone for All to See Tired and Old This ain't your father's AC-DC Old, Fold, Tired and Old
    Joetime
    I thinks its a good solid album basically. It shows AC/DC's roots and drives them away from the metal image that's been pinned on them over the years. Its a good listen.
    kennethdave
    Freebird79 wrote: The intro Stormy May Day Reminds me of 'In My Time of Dying'
    playinbass1432
    kennethdave wrote: Freebird79 wrote: The intro Stormy May Day Reminds me of 'In My Time of Dying' U got that right...the drumming could use some double bass though, hehe...would sound good...angus' solos are good, but half of em wouldnt stick in your head, they're like there for the sake of having a solo...an ok album...
    I just lost any respect I might have one day gained for you. Are you retarded? The drumming is already perfect. Phil Rudd plays what he does to add power to the song. He has groove. You can go back into your closet and listen to Rush now.
    playinbass1432
    And to everyone saying May Day sounds like IMTOD, piss off. It sounds nothing like it. Since when does Jimmy Page have a patent on the guitar slide? For christs sake.
    shotgunjoe
    3 days grace14 wrote: Another kickass album from AC/DC what are aLL YOU HATERS on!!!!!
    Good music is what I'm on. I just can't get enough of it.