Blow Up Your Video review by AC/DC

• Released: Jan 18, 1988
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
AC/DC: Blow Up Your Video

Sound here is like surprise! Almost any AC/DC album! No bass, searing tone and full overdrive without distortion. However, this is the sound we love, and let them get away with it. The album's title is actually an apt message to most kids out there during the invasion of a certain TV-channel called MTV to simply shut their eyes and their ears to the s--t coming from MTV. Nice. That's the way I wanna rock 'n roll.

The lyrics are (as usual) about sex, alcohol and pure fun. Singer Brian Johnson isn't the best one around, but I think he does it well on this one. It' matches the music perfectly, and it really rocks. Not all songs have the best of lyrics, but there's a lot of lifephilosophy hidden in there, like the one of the "Finchmeister": "Get drunk, get paid, and get laid."

This is not AC/DCs best album, yet the worst. It's placeable in the above-average basket. It was mixed in a small, French studio but it works out pretty good. First time I heard it it was like really boring, but when I got into some of the songs I loved it. The opening track, "Heatseeker," is almost like "Who Made Who," only faster and not that catchy. My favourite is still "Two Up," Johnson's ode to threeway sex. It's darn good. Overall, this album is fairly more pop-based, with more melody and so on. However, it's really good, far better than f. example Flick Of The Switch, which is the worst rock album I've ever heard.