Family Jewels [DVD] review by AC/DC

• Released: Mar 29, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
AC/DC: Family Jewels [DVD]

If you've heard AC/DC before, then you already know that they are one of the best hard rock bands to grace the planet. Inside the DVD set is a 23-page booklet that talks about how the band was formed, Bon Scott's death, and much, much more. I'd have to say that Angus Young is one of the best guitarists in hard rock today, though AC/DC hasn't put out a record in almost a decade.

Content — 9
There are 2 discs in the DVD set. The first one is the "Bon Scott" era, spanning from 1975 to 1980, and the second one is the "Brian Johnson" era, which is from 1980 to 1991. I would classify "Family Jewels" as a 'Best Of' DVD and a live concert DVD, mainly because you could find at least over half of the songs on a "Greatest Hits" album and that a lot of the songs are actual live recordings. In the song list, there are 40 songs, 20 to each DVD. There aren't much for extra features, though the DVD does offer a complete discography of the band.

Production Quality — 8
Overall, the production quality is excellent, except on some songs, such as "TNT" or "Back in Black" where the quality is sort of scratchy and doesn't sound the best, as compared to the original recordings. There aren't any technologies or tricks that I know of, just sheer awesomeness.

I think that this is one of their best DVD sets to date, mainly because the songs list is incredible. What is most impressive about this DVD set are the 40 videos/live recordings. Basically, I love everything about this DVD set, except the quality of some songs. Other than that, there isn't anything else to not like about it. If it were stolen someone, who is obviously jealous of this find, I'd probably buy "Plug Me In", which is another AC/DC box set, just because there are more songs and features in the set.

Gibson_Man
    cj10schmelzer
    kerno1 wrote: did any 1hear about a tv show about gene simons(kiss)life/family its called family jeweles
    yea i watch that all the time
    ellucifere
    3 days grace14 wrote: Cant wait for the new album {this doesn't really sound worth it not by the reviews anyway
    Good I don't you should listen to AC/DC, 3 days grace sucks huge ass, you suck and don't deserve AC/DC Anyone wanna second that?
    ellucifere
    Gibson_Man wrote: This DVD is great, but it consists of promo videos that were lip-synched and TV appearances. There aren't that many live performances, which is a major draw back
    That's because they didn't have many taped live performances.
    suicidehummer
    Yeah, damn those band managers for making them lip synch. Angus said Bon hated when they had to lip synch.