Flick Of The Switch review by AC/DC

• Released: Aug 23, 1983
AC/DC: Flick Of The Switch

Back from their hugely succesful back-to-back record breaking albums 'Back In Black' and 'For Those About To Rock', AC/DC were under pressure from both critics and themselves. The stress of touring and high expectations were showing. They needed a break but also needed to start on a new album. In the end, they did both. 'Flick Of The Switch' is a back-to-the-basics album. It is a far more classic Dacca compilation, with songs that are enjoyable to listen to but suprisingly simple in structure. 'Flick Of The Switch' is a great album but comes with a sting in the tail with Phil Rudd leaving after the recording, leaving 20 year old Simon Wright to fill the drum seat.

Brian Johnson is still wailing away at the microphone and although he can still carry a tune really well, I feel he lacks a little on 'Flick of the Switch'. He has an amazing vocal range but he very much needs to improve his dynamics. All of the singing is at the same level and I would love to hear his voice power on a bit in the choruses and 'ooohhhh, yeah! ' sections (which happen quite often). Also, some of the lyrics are really bland, particularly the last track, 'Brain Shake' and it's dismal chorus (Brain Shake, Brain Shake, Brain Shake, Brain Shake), really let 'Flick of the Switch' down a little. Apart from that, the singing and lyrics slot in very well with the furious rythym guitars and there really isn't much to complain about.

I don't believe that this CD is as bad as many people think. AC/DC were trying to just be themselves and this record shines because of that. However, I wouldn't call it their best. I think that some of the lyrics could have been a bit more thought through and spiced some of the choruses up a bit. Despite that, this is still a magnificent cd. It has my favourite AC/DC album cover and one of my favourtie Dacca songs (Nervous Shakedown, which has an incrediblely catchy main riff). I believe that although Brian could have possibly done something more with his lyrics and singing, I can find no other fault with this masterfuly simple Acca Dacca album.

Skuzzmo
    Got to agree there, Flick is a fantastic album that has been over looked by the casual rock fan who went straight to BiB or whatever....If you like the DC and you haven't heard this album go straight to your local music retailer and purchase a copy now..... go on then what ya waiting for.....?