Fly On The Wall review by AC/DC

• Released: Aug 5, 1985
AC/DC: Fly On The Wall

The sound on this album is very particular. It's different from the usual AC/DC sound. They've put too much reverb on the vocal tracks! That's a real shame, cause it feels like he's singing from another room. Apart from that, the rest is excellent: the riffs are great, as usual. The melodies are well-chosen, a lot of sing alongs on this LP (Shake Your Foundations, Fly On The Wall, Sink The Pink). The music does not differ from what we're used to: it's AC/DC, and when you buy an AC/DC album, you know what you'll get. During the recording of this album Malcolm & Phil got in a big fight and the drummer was fired, so Simon Wright plays the drums here (wich he does very well).

Lyrics aren't good on this CD. Brian is really not at his best, his voice sounds terrible, there's too much reverb on the vocals and they're way too low in the mix. And when the other guys do the backing vocals, Johnson dissapears completely, worst vocals on an AC/DC album.

My overall impression is still good. I love AC/DC from High Voltage to Stiff Upper Lip and I'd say this album is certainly not the worst out there (much better than Flick Of The Switch IMO). My top 3 songs are Fly On The Wall, Shake Your Foundations and Stand Up. It's worth a listen, but if you're about to buy your first AC/DC album, don't get this one.

acdcofadown
    Stop Messin' wrote: The only was you can compare AC/DC to Cinderella is comparing Tom and Brian's voices. They sound alike. Great album too. The only AC/DC albums i'm disappointed in was Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip. I have all of AC/DCs albums and they are all great.
    Hey, back off Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip. You have to listen to them a few times before you really get into them. Ballbreaker and Powerage are my favorites.
    Dan The Poet
    I love this CD, but my favorite is Highway to Hell or the good old classic Back In Black. But I thought the Razors Edge was awesome too. Hell, all their albums rock!
    ThePartyBoy
    This wasn't one of their greatest... but no doubt that Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip were far worse
    SGMAN911
    wingman987
    Brian Johnson or Bon Scott, AC/DC plays good ol' rock n roll. Back in Black is good of coarse but i don't see how albums with songs like Hard as a Rock and Can't Stop Rock n Roll can even be considered "far worse." You can argue they aren't the best of AC/DC but they sure are alot better than alot of the other shit out there.
    sheratonplyr369 wrote: that crappy cover art already gives me a bad impression
    This is probably my favorite cover
    sheratonplyr369 wrote: that crappy cover art already gives me a bad impression
    This is probably my favorite cover
    dakota1211
    just to clear up anybody who wants to down what i said. the razor's edge was by far one of their worst albums. had a few good songs but was one of the worse. back in black has good songs but not one of their best. well obviously sold the most but isnt the best.
    HomesliceMan
    SGMAN911 wrote: I agree with ThePartyBoy, In my opinion, the only decent album with Brian Johnson is Back In Black.
    What about "For those about to Rock" and "Flick of the Switch" and "The razors Edge"? They are classics in my opinion.
    livewire76
    FOTW is NOT a sh't album! Maybe not "best" either but no way is it as crap as people give it credit for.. Just been reading a book about the band where Angus is quoted: "Malcolm has the classic guitar feel.. I'll write loads of riffs while he'll just come up with 'Back In Black' or 'Fly On The Wall' and you just say: 'shit'." Kinda says a lot about what Angus thinks of the song FOTW, lumping it in with BIB, one of their greatest riffs, no?
    livewire76
    Hmm.. i want to take my last comment back.. been listening to this album a lot lately and you know what? The riffs here are as good as any album AC/DC have done.. I may have a slightly biased view because as kid this was the first album i heard by them.. Still, most bands would kill for an album that "just" sold under a million copies (think my facts are right there-lol). You gotta hand it to AC/DC - they are the beast at what they do, bar none.
    Ang 'n' Mal
    HEY PPL U KNOW ANGUS AND MALCOM BOTH WROTE LYRICS TOO...THEY PROBABLY ROTE SOEM LYRICS FOR THESE SONGS TOO
    Cliffburtonfan1
    Its a great album! People got to remember this music is pumping music and thats what it will alwaysb3. This was the first cd i got and i have to say it was a hard first listen . But also i was very new with ac/dc. But now i would burn acdc on my chest. All and all good album!
    if u want blood
    its one of acdcs best albums ever if they worked it out it would be better than Back in Black for sure
    JimPrenier_11
    HELL YEAH!!!
    tcangusyoung123
    This is a great album. I don't know why people don't like it. Fly on the Wall is genius. 3 chords the entire way through and it sounds absolutely genius. It's as if the Young brothers are putting a challenge to all the other rockers saying "We can play rock 'n' roll better and we have less chords!" Great album this was. Great songs. Although would be nice if Brian Johnson could be understood on Fly on the Wall though, but apart from that...GENIUS!
    angus_young_32
    HELL YEAH!!! Every single ac/dc album kicks ass!
    beaniehead
    leafskillsens wrote: I agree with y there bushey, are u guys trying to tell me that there are no good riff in back in black? Think "Hells Bells", "You Shook Me All Night Long", AND MOST OF ALL "BACK IN BLACK". The opening riff is definitely one of the best and most memorable riffs of all time!
    DITTO
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    Geekis_Khan wrote: Gibson_SG_uzr55 wrote: This is a good album that was almost as underrated as Flick a the Switch (pretty severe). AC/DC are the greatest band to walk the planet, and all thier material is good. A lot of jackasses thought they were heavy metal on the mid 80's albums, because the sound was like bands such as Cinderella. The sound was because of production (Angus and Malcom never had to produce until Flick of the Switch, so it was different than the past). Cinderella and other hair metal bands just ripped it off. If you agree, leave a comment w/ a HELL YEAH!!! HELL YEAH!!! But comparing AC/DC to Cinderella... That's a stretch...
    I compared them b/c the chorus to Ciderella's Shake Me was ripped off of First Blood. Listen.
    kyle5000
    jojoshman wrote: this is not ac/dc best but i like it i can't wait to hear there new album it is a 2 disc set i was told each disc has like 12-16 songs a hell yeah are you ready for a good time i'm ready for a good time
    Oh yes.
    M.B.MetalTabber
    Love this album, but don't understand why 'First Blood' is on there - it's a filler song that should be a 'B' side!!
    dakota1211
    Gypsy eyed wrote a review and she is wrong. phil quit in flick of the switch not fly on the wall. this album by far one of their best. to me its way better than back in black and razor's edge. back in black album doesnt have many great riffs or vocals. nor does flyu on the wall.
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    Geekis_Khan
    HELL YEAH!!! But comparing AC/DC to Cinderella... That's a stretch...
    Stop Messin'
    Eddie666
    One of my favourite ACDC albums... its got sink the pink for christ sake
    rollingstones
    im with yoyu man. like this wasnt one of there best cds but it wasnt bad i actually really like this cd.
    Spartan 117 wrote: why don't people think highly of this record?
    Suspended Chaos
    I love all of AC/DC's CDs. If you'd actually read the reviews, the people who don't speak highly of this album explain WHY they don't like it, therefore answering your question.
    bushey37
    classic cd And i bet the reverb on Johnsons voice was b/c thats when his voice started going to shit
    bushey37
    dakota1211 wrote: i didnt mean nor does fly on the wall i meant nor does razor's edge.
    What the ****? Razor's Edge not having good riffs. That was when Malcom and Angus started exploring beyond major chords. That may been their best guitar album.
    leafskillsens
    wingman987
    any AC/DC cd is expected to be great because they are a great band. Fly on the Wall is ths sound of AC/DC doin what they do better than anyone else, and thats just havin a hell of a time. Just watch the fly on the wall part on family jewels. there in a small place given a few people a good night out on the town--isn't that what rock n roll is all about?
    masterometal666
    The greatest band to walk the earth? Your standards certainly are low my friend. All the same, I find it hard to believe that after so long ACDC is putting out another album and I'm interested to see for myself if it's any good, seeing as how the overall opinion of the reviewers is pretty low. And I'm not sure why they complain about the repetition... ACDC has always been that way, in a good way at least. More tastefully catchy than anything.