For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) review by AC/DC

• Released: Nov 23, 1981
AC/DC: For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)

The picture on the front of the record says it all: AC/DC are about to blow you away with their high voltage rock'n'roll. The mixture between Brian Johnson's screech and the Young brother's guitars, Cliff William's bass, Phil Rudds' drums, feed on each other and bring out all the best of their music. The title track, with its mellow, but inspiring opening riffs, builds up to a powerfull guitar solo, and something entirely different, the first meeting of a rock'n'roll band and artillery, in a 'twenty-one gun salute'. 'Let's Get It Up', is also something new from the band. It has catchy riffs, and is somewhat funky, almost along the lines of Moneytalks. One of their darker songs, 'C.O.D.' is also on the record and is definetly one of AC/DC's best.

With AC/DC the lyrics have always been, and will continue to be based on the rockstar theory of sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll. Songs like 'I put the finger on you', 'inject the vemon', and the incredibly catchy 'let's get it up', illustrate this point very well. The title track on this record may also fit under this category, but it may be one of the most inspirational songs of all time(outside of the "inspirational music" category). While listening to it one can hardly resist the temptation to pick up their guitar and play, or go out and hit the world with all that they've got. Far from any another AC/DC song in existence is the suprisingly lively tale of the 'Night of the Long Knives'. It is a little known fact that there was an actual Night of the Long Knives during the time that the Nazis had control over Germany. This was supposed to a purge of the SA (auxilliary police force controlled by the Nazis)leadership, but ended up becoming a mass murder of over 2,000 innocent people. So, if you didn't know, now you do, if you did, good for you. But now, time to move on to the singer, Brian Johnson. The man with vocal chords of steel. There is not much more I can say about him, but he may have one of the most intresting voices that I've ever heard, which truly adds to the feel of the record. Everything fits together like the peices of puzzle, which is part of the reason for the legendary status that AC/DC now have.

Overall, this is one of AC/DC's finest accomplishments. Although nothing more needs to be said, I will elaborate. This record includes every thing you can always count on to find on an AC/DC record, the mandatory gut-busting solos from my hero, Angus Young, the powerfull rhythm section piloted by one of the best rhythm guitarists out there, Malcolm Young and younger brother Angus, passionate vocals from Brian Johnson, the driving bass line from Cliff Williams, and as always, Phil Rudd kicking the crap out of his drumset. Everything about this record I love, although highlights include 'C.O.D.', 'Inject the Vemon', 'I Put the Finger on You', 'Evil Walks', and of course, the anthem for all those about the rock, the albums amazing title track. All the new AC/DC remastered cd's are definetly worth a look, they've got intresting articles and lots of purdy pictures. My personal recommendation, for anyone with a record player, vinyl captures the essence of AC/DC as they were in 1981 and shows us the true spirit behind their music. For those about to rock is truly an awe-inspiring lp from the masters of rock'n'roll, AC/DC. Please excuse my ramblings and for those about to rock. I salute you.

Acorn
    ^How can you like one song from a band, and not like all of their songs! I like bands, not songs!