High Voltage review by AC/DC

• Released: Jul 5, 1994
AC/DC: High Voltage

AC/DC'S debut album was, you could say, a serious shock to the system. It's been said in many places that the British thought it was the Aussie's answer to punk. The album was badly reviewed by many magazines and they were seen as a bunch of lads who made a lot of noise. They were to say, less than impressed. But for other aspiring Rock fans, it was a blessing in disguise. The albums Guitar sound is pretty basic, mostly gained by cranking up the Marshalls. This album has some really classic songs, such as "It's A Long Way To The Top" and T.N.T. Thes are probably the best examples of AC/DC's sound on this absolute cracker of an album.

Bon Scott was probably the better lyricist of him and Brian Johnson (although Johnson is the more accomplished singer), and his writing skills are shown to great effect her. Need I mention tracks such as "She's Got Balls" and "Little Lover". He screams with animal magnetism, and the lyrics just fit beautifully with the song structure, although AC/DC never gave a toss about structure or paid much attention to the rules. The Young brothers wrote "Can I sit next to you girl" on their own though.

An overall good debut from the lads, although no doubt the best was still to come (you can make up your mind as to which one). It shows perfectly what AC/DC were about, a no frills, no gimmics Rock band with a general f--k em all attitude. As for me, if my copy was stolen I would definetly buy it again, as it marks an important part in the bands history, how they began, the album doesn't really cost that much, so in my opinion, you should definetly buy it.

Shabalaba
    Since when have AC/DC been heavy metal/ hard rock. Dude why do people always got the wrong genre for bands, i see it all the time and it annoys me. But anyway this CD is great, fab guitar solos, fab riffs. Ace in general
    cheeseisthebomb
    AC DC is not heavy metal. They are Blues/Hard Rock. The album is cool though. This album is the best AC/DC album ever made.
    ace man
    Real ac/dc enthusiasts won't ever buy this album. they would instead get onto amazon or ebay and buy the original High Voltage album as well as TNT. those two albums (ac/dc's first and second) provided the tracks for this version of high voltage, their first international release. rock n' roll