Highway to Hell review by AC/DC

• Released: Nov 8, 1979
AC/DC: Highway to Hell

Yes, it's true everyone: Highway to Hell is indeed the final album produced with legendary frontman Bon Scott before his death in 1980. And what a final album it is! Their sixth album realeased at the time in 1979, it was the first of three to incorporate the world renound rock producer John "Mutt" Lange. Wiht his expertise in enhancing the production value of songs, Bon's lyrical and sexual charisma at an all time peak, Angus absolutely tearing it up with furious solos, and the trio of Malcom, Cliff, and Phil providing remarkable rythm throughout, this is in my opinion their greatest album ever. Every single song on here perfectly melds the art of brilliant lyrics with the some of the most intense riffs and solos you will ever experience. I honestly can't tell which I love more: The lusty wordplay or Angus's non-stop guitar! I cannot possibly select any favorites, but I will simply say that there is no turning off this album after the opening track of Highway to Hell.

During his tenure as Ac/Dc's vocalist, Bon exceeded everyones expectations of him as a lyricist time and time again. This album is absolutely no different. While every song showcases his fluid use of subjects such as sex, sex, and more sex, my personal favorites would include Touch Too Much ("She's got the body of Venus with arms"), If You Want Blood You Got It ("Feelin like a Christian/locked in a cage/thrown to the lions/on the second page"), and Girls Got Rythm ("Enough to stop a freight train/or start the third World War"). All in all, pure lust is exuded from all ten tracks in one form or another. Bon also showcases his humorous side with the soft spoken Robin Williams quote "Shazbot-Nano-Nano" at the end of the near freightening Night Prowler. And, as always, Bon's unmistakable high pitched screeching works flawlessly with the rest of the music and really gets your blood pumpin.

If you consider yourself a rock fan and do not own this album, I suggest you slap youself right about now. This master piece does not receive nearly as much credit as it deserves. Simple yet intense guitar riffs, enough solos to dive you insane attempting to learn all of them, and one of the absolute best vocalist/lyricist in rock history, how can you not buy it?

tuabuela
    AC/DC's highway to hell was their first cd towards international recognition, in my oppinion this cd should be between the 100best in rock n' roll history
    alabamajustin
    i agree with the guy above me ,i mean ac/dc is the best there will probably ever be.... kids today dont have imagination when it comes to rocking on the guitar ... they do the same crap over and over...rock on AC/DC
    Bleed Blue
    Well, I'm 14 years old and all i listen to is Ac Dc. I totally agree with alabamajustin, but there are more kids that love Ac Dc than you think. But i do agree with these new bands playing the same crap over and over again.