If You Want Blood You've Got It review by AC/DC

• Released: Nov 27, 1978
AC/DC: If You Want Blood You've Got It

This album captures AC/DC at their best: in concert. There's little to no overdubbing on here, so the raw energy of the group's live performance is still held intact. They performed some of their biggest hits from the time, like "Riff Raff" and "Whole Lotta Rosie." The whole band sounds amazing on each song, especially lead singer Bon Scott. He really gives his best screams on here. The crowd is great too, I just love listening to "The Jack" and hearing them chanting "She's got the jack!" Great stuff.

Of course, we all know the typical basis for AC/DC lyrics: sex, drugs, and rock n' roll! What makes the lyrics so great on this album though, is that some of them have been altered for some songs. A good example is "The Jack." You know how the studio version's lyrics were about poker? Well, in Australia, where the band hails from, "The Jack" is a slang term for venereal disease. So, the change in the lyrics is... I think you get it. Anyway, about Bon's singing; he sounds damn good on here, he puts his heart into every single scream, making his sandpaper bark of a voice sound almost as good as on Highway To Hell. Bon truly was a great perfromer. RIP Bon.

This was AC/DC's first live album, recorded during their 1978 Powerage tour, and in my opinion, it's as good as, or maybe even better their second one. As I said before, there's little to no overdubbing, which helps to capture the raw sound that makes AC/DC's live shows so great. You really get the feeling of an actual live concert from this album. If You Want Blood is definitely a winner in my book. This is something every AC/DC fan should own.

Spartan 117
    yeah well at the start of rock n roll damnation theres a soft g chord and then an edit point. that's right they edited out fling thing. i think they shoulda kept it in for the sake of the full concert.