Let There Be Rock review by AC/DC

• Released: Mar 21, 1977
AC/DC: Let There Be Rock

Another great album of the Bon Scott era. Let there be rock show more raw power then the High Voltage and Dirty Deeds. However, the prouduction of album always give me some filthy feeling and I really dont know if it makes me feel good or bad. Anyway, songs prove their quality also on live performance so the "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be", "Dog Eat Dog" and "Let There Be Rock" are on the setlist for the Black Ice tour. Album contains excellent rock'n'roll/blues riffworks and Bons harsh and screaming vocals mixed with hard 4/4 drum beats and simple bass backings. Best example of that is "Let There Be Rock" (song) . Powerfull hard lead riff, great pentatonic solos, simple and hard drum rhytm and Bons rock'n'roll preaching are the aces wich made "Let There Be Rock" (song) part of the every tour since 1977. Same thing is with "Whole Lotta Rosie". The great old fat hooker had found her place in hearts of AC/DC fans all around the world. This song is total classic. What impress me the most is great guitar solos. Whole pentatonic-made, up and down speed scales hit you with so much much energy that you wish to jump around your room like Angus. "I never smoked me no cigarettes, I never drank much booze", whatta irony... "Overdose", another great song from the Let There Be Rock. Very catchy refrain and very good riff, but that one-minute intro is little bit over the top. Do I even have to mention "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be", "Dog Eat Dog" or "Bad Boy Boogie"? Every song album is great except "Crapsody In Blue". I mean, I like this song very much, I like that blues feel and great blues riff, but I can't swallow Bons vocals on this song. it's too melodyc and it just don't fit AC/DC. When we speak about AC/DC very rare theme is the drummer. Everyone speaks about Angus, Bon, Brian, Malcom, sometimes bass players, but it's very rear to find someone to talk about Phill. I think his drumming goes with AC/DC like the girl goes with boys. His powerfull 4/4 beat with no drum solos raise tension that you could cut it with the knife.

All songs are written by A.Young, M.Young and Bon Scott. What can you expect from that trio then the great old sex, drugs and rock'n'roll themes. Only "Dog Eat Dog" speaks about the cold,cruel world, life on the streets, business world. What I like with AC/DC is humor in their lyrics. Best examples on this album are "Crapsody in Blue" and "Bad Boy Boogie". I've already mentioned how the production of this album makes me feel filthy. And that filth totally fits their dirty and filthy lyrics and vocals. Just listen to the Bons moaning on "Go Down". Do I even have to explain how Bon is great? To me personaly he is like big source of charisma and energy. His powerfull strong harsh vocal its the thing that miss in AC/DC since he's gone. No doubt, Brian is great too, but Bon will always be one and only. His voice is like 5th instrument in the band. And he writes much better lyrics then Brian does. Best thing on the album is Bons preaching on "Let There Be Rock" (song). On the past albums they had storytelling like on "Ain't No Fun" great metaphoric meanings on "The Jack", but this preaching thing is totally new and its great. "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be", one hell of the song about one hell of the down ass bitch that drinks Bons booze, puts him down, spends his money and so on..."Don't mind her playing demon, as long as its whit me, 'cause if this is hell, then you could say its havenly, hell aint a bad place to be". Also Bon shows all his aces on this song.

People usually say that every AC/DC album is the same. If you look on this like that then yes, it can be compared to every AC/DC album. But from my (and yours) guitaristic side you can find many differences. From my opinion this album have opened the door to the great "Powerage" and I think that "Let There Be Rock" (album) is most similar to "Powerage". If you buy this album and you don't know about AC/DC I recommend you to start with "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Let There Be Rock" and "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be". True AC/DC fans and knowers would certanly say "Dog Eat Dog", "Overdose" or something like that. Good thing with AC/DC is that they are very easy to listen and they get you up with they powerfull sound and interesting (sexual, humoristic) lyrics. Every true rock'n'roller woudnt forget to make compilation of AC/DC for his party or somethig like that. What I love about "Let There Be Rock" (album) is that dirty, edgy sound of the guitars. Maybe just little more gain or overdrive would make it even more better.

quinlikesmetal
    BUTCHY13 wrote: Worst AC/DC album ever. Only good song is Whole Lotta Rosie. The rest are drivel. And I like AC/DC.
    i agree, it was just a plain waste of money,
    AngusRocks25
    are you joking man, let there be rock is one of ac/dc's gems, its an excellent album, real raw energy delivered from the boys, bon's vocals are amazing and the lyrics are typical ac/dc- sex, drugs and rock n roll, malcolm's irons out deadly doses of riffs, angus has emotive solos, phil's solid drumming and mark evan's bass are all very tight! there isn't a bad track on this album, except bad boy boogie always sounded better live, just listen to the if you want blood live album! i'd rate this album 10 out ot 10!
    WibbleWobble
    this is a fantastic album the band sound like they had one chance, walked into the studio and grabbed that chance by the balls kicking and screaming across the floor. Let there be rooooock
    AC/DC09
    If you think this is the WORST AC/DC album then you must be a big fan of The Razor's Edge album. This is AC/DC when they were at their best. The best lineup they have ever had writing the songs that best exemplify AC/DC. Awesome solo's and the most bad-ass riffs (Overdose, Whole Lotta Rosie, Go Down, Bad boy Boogie, screw it, every song has an amazing riff). Bon Scott sings lyrics with such swagger and shows that he was the coolest front man. I don't understand how fans of this band can diss this record. This is the album I go to when I try to recruit new fans of AC/DC