Live At Donnington [DVD] review by AC/DC

• Released: Nov 11, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
AC/DC: Live At Donnington [DVD]

This is a DVD of AC/DC at their best. In front of one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen, they belt out some of their old favourites. They start in true form with 'Thunderstruck', Angus' fingers dancing over the frets, pulling off a huge variety of notes, acknowledging the crowd with two-fingers salutes. They stretch each of the songs out until they are all at least 3 minutes long, but it never once sounds repetitive. The sound is superb and the band never makes a wrong note the whole way through. The tunes have been worked on and improved, with Angus soloing better in his old age. It's a true AC/DC sound with a fantastic line-up of songs.

Content — 10
The DVD hasn't got a lot of features, just a commentary and a showcase of their CDs and tapes. But the 3-hour performance more than makes up for the lack of extra bits in the menu. One of the more memorable songs in 'Jailbreak' where Angus' takes a huge solo and drops his pants to the delight of the crowd. They have a huge blow-up balloon of Angus in 'Let There Be Rock' where a barrage of notes is fired at the screaming audience. In true style, they finish with the fabled 'For Those About To Rock' with cannons firing and lights working overtime. It is a fantastic concert that may well have your folks joining in too!

Production Quality — 10
Like anything AC/DC do, they worked over this concert until it shines. Everything is spot-on, and the picture quality is quite clear. The camera work is fabulous, including the ones underneath the glass on which the band plays on. They have used 3 blow-ups in total, and at one stage, Angus dissapears, and then rises out of a platform somewhere at the back of the crowd, does a solo, and goes back into the floor. A minute later he's back on stage. These are just some of the things that make AC/DC such a fun band to watch live.

This is a fantastic piece of heritage that AC/DC can lay claims to. The overall stage presence of them is totally in-your-face and you just can't get enough of it. Everything about this DVD is pure gold and if you ever see a copy, make sure you grab it, because that night was the night of the best rock band to ever come out of Australia.

TwistedLogic
    I have a copy and think it is bloody awesome. AC/DC rock Donington Castle like it had never been rocked before. If you even remotely like AC/DC you MUST have this DVD!!!!! I love it.
    T0xicitY
    This sounds great, I can't wait for it to come into stores in my town.
    powerstroke
    I didnt even like Ac/Dc when I first watched it, and it is one of the best live DVDs ever. I definetly recommend it, its so kick @ss.
    otherkid
    I love this dvd the heli-cam rocks it would of been better if they had more with angus and mi drummer brother hated that they had no songs with chris just watchin him if u really pump up da volume on da sound system u really get the feelin of a concer BUT ANY GOOD AC/DC FAN HAS TO HAVE THIS DVD
    tanner.
    the music was great, the performance was great, the effects were great, damn right awesome dvd, if everyone in the world saw it there would be a lot more AC/DC fans.
    Bleed Blue
    Ya, i have this DVD and it is totally kick ass! It's a little annoying how long it takes Angus to take off his clothes during Jailbreak because the other band members just sit there playing the same thing over and over again (but it is pretty sexy).... If you like this DVD and Ac Dc in general, you should also get Family Jewels.
    Dirtydeeds468
    Content: The DVD contains the concert which is around 2 hours in length. Like the name implies, its a live performance at Donnington, England in 1992 I think but I'm not 100% sure on when it was in fact recorded. It has some cool features. My favorite being the Angus cam, which is a camera that stays on Angus the entire time. So if Angus is all your interested in its a wonderful feature. The concert contains something that make all AC/DC concerts complete. Angus's strip tease which he performs to a beat provided by his bandmembers. It's a very entertaining concert and makes you feel like you have the best seat in the house. // 9