Live At Donnington [DVD] Review

artist: AC/DC date: 11/11/2010 category: compact discs
AC/DC: Live At Donnington [DVD]
Released: Nov 11, 2003
This DVD is great and will be the video to make all you non AC/DC fans eyes pop open and hear a sound unlike no other.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 9.1
 1,683
Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: Dammit Missed T, on august 26, 2004

Sound: It's some of the greatest AC/DC hits as performed at 1991's "Monsters Of Rock" festival. We are given the usual AC/DC sound, hard rock, with power chords everywhere. Nothing particularly new or flashy, just back to basics Hard Rock from the ultimate hard rock band. The remastered sound is fantastic quality, especially when listened to on a 5.1 surround sound system - the makers of this DVD (Epic Video) have completely remixed the sound using the individual channel recordings of the actual concert, and it almost sounds as good as live! // 10

Overall Impression: The only other DVD of this type I own is the GNR Welcome To The Videos, and although good, it pales in comparison to this DVD. Apart from the music - which is brilliant by the way - it is the special features that really make this DVD able to stand tall amongst its competitors - Welcome... can't even come close! The thing I really love is the performance AC/DC puts on for the crowd - Angus obviously really feels the music and runs around like his pants were on fire! This is equalled by Brian Johnson's throat tearing lyrical talent, and when this is combined with the music and special effects, it adds up for a truly mind blowing performance! All in all, this is a spectacular representation of a live AC/DC performance, and at 9.99 definitely worth it's cost. This is one I would never want to lose! // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: SGThunderstruck, on september 25, 2005

Sound: Sound is good, choice of 5.5 Dolby Surround, or Stereo. AC/DC always sounds good, though. Huge crowd, kind of amazing how anyone could play for that many people without shitting their pants. // 10

Overall Impression: It is the best concert DVD I own, out of 6 DVD's. Most impressive thing is the intro, when they play Thunderstruck, and Angus comes out from the tunnel and the crowd goes bizzerk. You just get this rush of blood throughout your body when you see something like that, the kind that makes you run to wherever you keep your guitar and practice for hours. Totally worth the $12. I would re-purchase it if it was lost. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: Azdogga, on march 21, 2006

Sound: This is a DVD of AC/DC at their best. In front of one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen, they belt out some of their old favourites. They start in true form with 'Thunderstruck', Angus' fingers dancing over the frets, pulling off a huge variety of notes, acknowledging the crowd with two-fingers salutes. They stretch each of the songs out until they are all at least 3 minutes long, but it never once sounds repetitive. The sound is superb and the band never makes a wrong note the whole way through. The tunes have been worked on and improved, with Angus soloing better in his old age. It's a true AC/DC sound with a fantastic line-up of songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a fantastic piece of heritage that AC/DC can lay claims to. The overall stage presence of them is totally in-your-face and you just can't get enough of it. Everything about this DVD is pure gold and if you ever see a copy, make sure you grab it, because that night was the night of the best rock band to ever come out of Australia. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: Rocker_94, on october 15, 2008

Sound: I really like this DVD. The guitars sound great and raw, and the drums sound nice and crisp with Chris Slade never missing a beat. Brian Johnson sounds great aswell. I really liked the sound of his voice at this point in time. It's kinda hard to describe it. Of the AC/DC DVDs, he sounds the best in this one. He hit his rough patch for No Bull (worn out) and Stiff Upper Lip Live (throat infection), and is really forcing some notes. His voice has been back on top since about 2003, so that's good. One more thing I wanted to mention, the crowd is in it. They are a 6th member. // 10

Overall Impression: There is nothing that I hate on here. Not many features, but what were you expecting to have? There's just those little things I mentionned above. If it were stolen or lost, I'd surely buy it again. I watch it fairly often, and would miss it if it was gone. It's near perfect. And by the way, it's written Donington, not Donnington. // 9

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: rockfan, on december 13, 2004

Sound: AC/DC's sound is always great. On this DVD the sound is amazing, it's almost like you're really at the concert. When the song Hell's Bells starts and you hear the bell, then you see the huge bell come down over top of the band. It is great. // 10

Overall Impression: The DVD is a typical AC/DC concert. The most impressive thing on it is the sound. If you turn it up loud its like you're there, watching them. The set list is also great, its all of their best songs. If it were lost then I would buy it again. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: Ziplin, on april 07, 2005

Sound: Sound? AC/DC. Enough said. The most explosive and powerful sound you'll ever hear. Angus does not hit one bad not on his SG. Brian doesn't have any singing flaws. Chris Slade just played drums amazingly to say the least. All the songs on here sound teriffic. The only thing that I somewhat don't like is Brian doing TNT, Highway To Hell, ect. Those are Bon's songs and just aren't the same. He did do a good job with 'Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be' and 'Jailbreak' though. Amzing sound quality. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this DVD. It's the best item I own. Every song was played great. They played all the my favorites (Thunderstruck, Back In Black, You Shook Me All Night Long, ect). I love everything about it. I don't dislike anything about the DVD. If it were stolen (I definatly wont lose it, I keep it close alaways) I would buy it again for only being $12. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: metallica4evr, on april 20, 2005

Sound: AC/DC will always be AC/DC. This is basically a greatest hits one a dvd. If you are a big AC/DC fan you'll probably know most of the songs on this DVD. The song is perfectly clear and digitally remastered. You'll love it! // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is a classic videos DVD. It has nothing more than DVD's other bands released and nothing less. It would really appeal to hard core AC/DC fans. People that are now starting to listen to AC/DC will not find much on this album. Then again it is the only substitute for a greatest hits album as AC/DC is yet to relaese one. I don't hate anything about this album. I was a bit disappointed that most of the videos were live videos but you have to remember that in those days that was what all rock videos were like. I would buy it again if it were stolen. // 8

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: geetarman3421, on october 05, 2005

Sound: AC/DC, unless you've been living under a rock for the past two decades, you should know that they are a straight up hard rock band and this DVD gives ample proof of that. The DVD footage is from the 1991 concert at Donington Park in England which AC/DC headlined and also included acts like Motley Crue, Metallica, and Queensryche. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a must have DVD, there are no faults in it like there are in most concert DVDs and the band's performance is beyond electricifying. I mainly liked the performance and the stage props like cannons, the giant inflatable Rosie, and the Hell's Bell. If it were stolen I would just get a new one because the DVD is pretty cheap. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2005

Sound: The sound of this is great. Put on some surround sond and you can really get a feeling like your there. Angus barely misses a thing in this show. It's amazing. Has a really nice rock sound. This will really open up people's eyes and show them how good AC/DC really is. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this DVD really brings out the true AC/DC. It shows how well they play, and how fun and exciting their live shows are. The albums don't give this band justice, because you can't see Angus running around in his schoolboy outfit on the albums, or you can't see lighting effects. This DVD definitely is a must-have for any AC/DC fan. It is probably the best live DVD of them out right now. I love everything about it. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy a new one in a heartbeat. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: Mr. Legato, on december 23, 2005

Sound: Sound is incredible. Some songs are overdubbed (so I've heard). But does not take away from the experience of AC/DC live! It sets the bar for recorded live concerts. Great sound, everything is in great balance (maybe due to the overdubbing). The voice, the guitars, drums, and audience nothing drowns out anything else so you hear everything like you should. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great DVD, of a great concert! If your an AC/DC fan, get this DVD, it's wonderful. This is the concert the AC/DC live! CD was recorded from. So if you have both great! It's just an amazing example of recorded concerts and like I said sets the bar. // 9

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: JustinYap, on august 01, 2006

Sound: I am a big fan of AC/DC and consider them to be one of the greatest rock bands ever. And this DVD is a testament to that. This is nothing short of what AC/DC is all about, with the big inflatable Rosie, Hell's Bell, and the infamous canons. This concert was performed and filmed on the 17th Of August 1991 in the middle of their Monsters Of Rock tour alongside the likes of Metallica and Motley Crue. The sound quality of this DVD is excellent for a live concert, where you can barely hear the crowd when you're not supposed to, and can hear them loud and clear when you are. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, an excellent DVD! I'd have to say what I find most impressive about this would have to be the band's music, the band's stage presence, and actually being able to see their interactions with each other and their fans. It was everything a good rock concert was supposed to be, and I don't think there were any problems with it at all. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: AngusYoungsheir, on december 23, 2006

Sound: This DVD marked a pivitol point in the bands career. They were seen as one of the greatest Rock bands in the world, and not without good reason. With a setlist filled with some of their best boogies, most brilliant blues, and riveting Rock anthems, you could go no wrong with a statement like that. The sound is almost as good as the reviews (Which were brilliant). AC/DC used more overdrive in their live concerts then, than they have in more recent concerts, such as the stiff upper lip tour. They solos are played pretty much the same as the recorded version, except noticably on "Fire Your Guns", but who can find fault in a little bit of improvisation. It is Angus Young anyway. The sound is great for a live concert. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favourite of the AC/DC DVD's, and if this were lost or stolen, I would definetly buy it again, because there is absolutely nothing else like it. No other artist even comes close to being as electrifying as AC/DC when it comes to a live show. So instead of rabbling on, I have only two words. Buy it! // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: Rockstar112, on january 05, 2008

Sound: AC/DC is a legendary hard rock band known for delivering the best of the best when it comes to rock music and an exhilarating live performance. You can see why they are know for that in this DVD.The band sounds and plays just like on the CD and even better on some songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD shows AC/DC at their best. Their showmanship and ability to put on such a good show is a valuable asset that they use to the best of their ability. If you want a great performance by a great band then get this DVD. If this gets lost or stolen go buy another one it's that good. Everytime I watch the DVD it makes me wish I were actually there. I loved it. No doubt about it. // 10

Live At Donnington [DVD] Reviewed by: RickStorm, on november 11, 2010

Sound: It's one of the best live movies in the world, just pure rock N roll, from one of the greatest rock bands in history ever. AC/DC never dissapoints the fans, Live At Doningtong is a show icluding all their legendary stuff like Highway To Hell, Back In Black, Hells bells, T.N.T, etc. And the non-stop energy of angus young and fast riffs never ever stops, angus does everything entertain the audience, he even has hes own little "strip-tees". // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive is just thats it's so god damn good, you better watch it if you haven't already. The concert never slows down exept when they plays The Jack, but otherwise it's just 100 percent fast rock n roll and catchy songs that all can sing along to. // 10

Comments