Powerage review by AC/DC

• Released: Jun 19, 1978
AC/DC: Powerage

The overall sound quality is much clean and tidier than the earlier albums with Bons distinctive voice, Angus and Malcolm's power in their guitar work, Cliff's improved bass from the previous bassist Mark Evans and Phil Rudd's driving drums proportioned perfectly making it a huge improvement on the bands earlier ground-breaking material. The songs seem more original with the force of songs like 'Rock N' Roll Damnation', 'Up To My Neck In You', 'Kicked In The Teeth' and my overall favourite AC/DC song 'Riff Raff' with it's killer riff, powerful drums and powerful solos make it one of AC/DC's finest moments, to the subtle catchy riff of 'Gone Shootin'.

As you may well know that most of AC/DC's lyrics are about experiences with women e.g 'Whole Lotta Rosie', 'Girls Got Rhythm' and 'Love At First Feel', surprisingly this album has no songs in it tha are about sex and the likes. Rock N' Roll Damnation almost punk in it's lyrics as it is very rebellious 'They say that you play too loud, well baby that's tough' yet in no way is it punk. Then Down Payment Blues is a woefull tale about money and the lack of it with Bon singing in a seemingly true tale in it's nature. Soon after is Gimme A Bullet whos lyrics are surprising as an onlooker may think about guns but it actually tells a tale of lost love. Riff Raff is a song where the lyrics are there because they have to be. following is Sin City, a live favourite that shows dreams of being rich and being in 'Sin City'. The next song, What's Next To The Moon is quite strange as the first line is 'Tie my baby to the railroad track', it tells of a man desperate to regain the love of a woman by forcing her. Gone Shootin' tells of a lover who left maybe for another man. Up to My Neck In You is just about how his life has been improved now the person has come into his life. Finally Kicked In The Teeth is about being deserted by their lover. So overall the lyrics are in a more mature and grown up manner talking about problems with money and girls.

This album is definately my favourite album by AC/DC and probably my favourite overall. The best songs from Powerage are definately Down Payment Blues, Riff Raff, What's Next To The Moon and Gone Shootin'. What I love about this album as it is so unique compared to the rest of AC/DC's back catalogue and the next album 'Highway To Hell' which goes back to the lyrics about sex. If it was stolen I would be probably in tears and I would hunt them down, kick them in the balls take it back, if not I'd definately buy it again even though I've made a vow to myself not to buy anything else as I'm saving up.