Powerage review by AC/DC

• Released: Jun 19, 1978
AC/DC: Powerage

I've been a AC/DC fan since I've seen them perform on NBC's late night concert show, the Midnight Special, way back in 1978. Yes, I'm that old, wanna make something of it? Anyway, when I first saw Angus Young on stage with his Gibson SG wielding those buzz saw licks and running around the stage like a maniac wearing that schoolboy outfit, I was hooked, and have been ever since. Powerage was the 1st album of theirs that I bought back in 1978. Yes, I was one of the few who actually bought it when it first came out, and now thanks to the re-issue a few years ago, I now have it on CD.

This album is just a typical AC/DC album where Bon Scott would write about life's laments and downfalls with women and authority, but he was a genius with lyrics and nobody could write like him. His lyrics were very suggestive and tounge in cheek. You really had to have a sense of humor to appreciate his writing. Angus and Malcolm's guitar work vastly improved with album no doubt set off with the addition of Bassist Cliff Williams, while the Drumming of Phil Rudd is always solid as ever. All in all, this has to be their most sonic laded album ever. A true classic and IMO, the best one they ever made with the late Bon scott.

While their earlier efforts like High Voltage and Let There Be Rock showed the band growing and maturing as musicians and songwriters, Powerage simply stands alone as their most powerful record with Bon Scott, even surpassing Highway To Hell. Some of my favorite cuts are Sin City, Rock N'Roll Dammnation, Kicked In The Teeth Again, and, Up To My Neck In You, which is a straight out 3 chord balls out rock n'roll guitar laden riff fest.This album is recommended listening for any guitar player today as far as I'm concerned. Go out and buy this album right now!