Stiff Upper Lip review by AC/DC

• Released: Feb 28, 2000
AC/DC: Stiff Upper Lip

This album is one of my favorites from this band. As an avid AC/DC fan I was surprised at how Bluesy the album sounds. The shock to me was the difference in sound between this album and the albums of their previous years that included The Razors Edge, Ballbreaker, Fly on the Wall, ect. Instead they sounded like the band that they used to be in the beginning of their careers. The bluesy/rock that they used to be in the Bon era. Probably the songs that showed their still a blues band the most are House of Jazz, and Stiff Upper Lip. But Angus doesn't let down a bit on the rock side of the album with his shock and awe solos, awesome riffs, and great guitar skills.

All AC/DC fans know that Brian Johnson doesn't have the same voice and lyrical skills that Bon Scott had, but Brian Johnson doesn't try to get his voice as high pitched in this album with his deteriorating voice unlike in The Razors Edge and Ballbreaker and there couldn't have been a better replacement. His voice now is more suited for the blues which is what he was aiming for in this album. Some of the lyrics in the songs don't make very much sense with the rest of the song. Also I thought they used the title of the song a little too much in the songs. Of course they still talk about parties, women, and overall living wild but that's what they are good at. I'd rather hear about parties and having a good time then listening to depressing songs.

This album overall one of their best. Angus shows that even in his old age he can still play like a madman. I love how they went back to their roots with all the blues tracks but still maintains their rock image with the rest of the album. AC/DC is my favorite band and will always remain my favorite.