Stiff Upper Lip review by AC/DC

• Released: Feb 28, 2000
AC/DC: Stiff Upper Lip

AC/DC are still at it. Come the turn of the next millenium these guys prove that you are never to old to rock and roll! Stiff Upper Lip comes five years after their life-affirming Ballbreaker album. There is far more jazz style grooves than classic rock anthems but apart from that, the AC/DC sound is still the same. The Young brothers seem to be experimenting with finger and hybrid picking a lot more, but who cares? It's AC/DC!

Brian is once again writing his lyrics, for which I am happy he decided to do (Brian stopped writing after Back in Black but picked it up again on Ballbreaker). His growl is quite established and contained in contradiction to some other albums where it gets slightly out of hand. Simple lyrics have always been a key to AC/DC and nearly always showcases AC/DC's favourite subjects: sex, beer and rock and roll. It's quiet amusing to hear 50 something year old men singing about this sort of stuff but hey, 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it'.

AC/DC have always maintaned a steady rock sound and Stiff Upper Lip keeps this going but adds in lots of extra twists. Clever little riffs replace supreme chord-chundering and the bass lines are more prominent. This is one of favourite Dacca albums and with good cause. A very musically impressive album that you can just listen to over and over again. If I was to hate something about this album, it would be that I can't write songs as well as these masters of rock can. Stiff Upper Lip is very much a return to their well earned legendary status.

ac/dc_voltage
    Man, AC/DC is THE best band thats ever come to rock n roll. sure, elvis maybe the king of rock n roll, but shouldn't being "king" mean that you're the best? if that was the case, ac/dc would be sitting on top of the rockin' world forever. Angus Young, other than anyone, is my lifetime role model. sure he may be obsessed with sex, but so am I. Stiff Upper Lip isn't the best album, i like all of them actually, but stiff upper lip is definetly one of the best. AC/DC LIVES FOREVER!!!!
    Thunder Frets
    Just a note: in all the tab books ive seen they only credit Young/Young on the stiff upper lip songs. So i really dont think Brian wrote the lyrics. If you can prove me wrong please do.