Stiff Upper Lip review by AC/DC

• Released: Feb 28, 2000
AC/DC: Stiff Upper Lip

ACDC. For nearly 40 years these guys have been rocking the world, and Stiff Upper Lip proves that despite some blemishes (Fly On The Wall, most notably) they still have it. The songs are filled with fills (yes, very funny) solos and incredibly catchy riffs that you can't help but tap your foot too. I know when I first heard the opening track I had to pick up my guitar and jam along to the sweet bluesy crunch of Stiff Upper Lip. ACDC, at this point, may not exactly be blazing new trails, but they sure as hell know their own ground like it's no one's business.

The lyrics are typical ACDC, filled with suggestive, crude and simple rhymes that you can't help but chuckle at, despite their childishness. Frankly it's good to see that lyricists Angus, Malcolm Young and Brian Johnson haven't lost their respective touches over the years. However some tunes, such as 'Safe In New York City' seemed a little lackluster chorus-wise, but minor blunders are easily excused when you realize that the verses include such sleazy rhymes such as, "Movin' all over like a jumpin' bean take a look at that thing in the tight ass jeans comin' your way now you may be in luck don't you fret boy she's ready to buck" Johnson's voice certainly has waned over the years, his inexplicably demonic screams off 'Back In Black' and 'For Those About To Rock' have been toned down, and he relies more often on backing vocals here more than ever, but I'll be damned if he still doesn't blow me away with his signature wails.

While the CD could have been cut down a couple songs, it comes off strong as ACDC could have made it, and they crafted a tight, muscle-bound album to be sure. If you haven't explored the recent ACDC and prefer their older material, try listening to 'Stiff Upper Lip', 'Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll' or 'Satellite Blues', all of which (among many others) stand up to their best material.