Stiff Upper Lip review by AC/DC

• Released: Feb 28, 2000
AC/DC: Stiff Upper Lip

On this album AC/DC went down into blues. I personaly think that blues is big part of their music, you can feel it on songs like "The Jack", "Boogieman", and almost all early riffs. Whole album is recorded with low gain on guitars, improved bass, hard drum rhytim and Brains well-known vocals. Album might have blues-inspired riffs, but they're still raw and rough. This is the album that brought AC/DC into 20th century, and like it made a big step or turned another page from the 90s, becaus it's totally different from "The Razors edge" and "Ballbreaker". In past interviews Angus said that his childhood heroes were Chuck Berry and John Lee Hooker, and I think that he totally proved it.

Lyrics are good as they always were. it's the same old story. One-night stands, drinking all night, rock'n'roll, living on the streets, my woman had left me... and so on. But I think that every person who likes AC/DC wouldn't care if the lyrics are same on every album because it's just rock'n'roll. You can't expect arty, sensitive lyrics or some love ballads from band wich sings all their life about dirty deeds with Rosie, drinkin all night on highways, peeking on little girls like boogieman... and other stuff like that. I must also say that their lyrics totally fit their music on album. Spookie riff on "Safe in New York City" totally fits their spookie theme of lyrcs, slow groove on "Come and get it" totally fits the drunk atmosphere... Even the opening song, "Stiff Upper Lip", shows you what can you expect from the least of the album. There is one interesting thing about Brian. At the time that he had joined AC/DC he had a great voice. Then he ruined it with smoking and drinking. But in the 90s he had that monstruoz voice. And now with ages his voice is getting cleaner and cleaner and I like it very much now.

Well people say that every AC/DC album is the same. And Angus himslef said that there has never been nothing new about AC/DC, but I must say that I don't agree with that. Yes, it's true that you just need to hear the opening riff and you will know that's AC/DC rocking off the speakers. But every album have it's own small differences in recording, amp-settings, vocals, riffs... but my point is that it doesnt't matter, AC/DC will always be AC/DC. Even if this album have this blues feel it doesn't mean that it's different from the others. You can steel feel the energy of early AC/DC on songs like "Give it up", "Stiff upper lip", "Safe in New York City". And there are also great hard rock tunes like "House of jazz", "All screwed up", "Damned" and "Can't stop rock'n'roll". But what I like most on this album is that that AC/DC had showed that their fans will always be there even if they play blues, power-pop (as they called them in late 80's), or something third because AC/DC will always had that great fill of rock'n'roll in their songs.