Stiff Upper Lip Live [DVD] review by AC/DC

• Released: Dec 4, 2001
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
AC/DC: Stiff Upper Lip Live [DVD]

The sound, oh the sound. Personally, I am not a fan of AC/DC's presentation of their live performance in Donnington. I found the sound to be atrocious and positively horrid. Much to my relief, I found Stiff Upper Lip Live. The sound on this DVD sends Acca Dacca back to their High Voltage days, with bluesy riffs and not just the metalic/hard-rock riffs we've come to see from them in the past. Angus' guitar playing is top notch in my opinion, considering he had a fairly long set to remember, plus the wind was just not his best ally here. Brian had a bluesier tone to his voice to and, in my opinion, he sounded much better than in his performance at Donnington. Stiff Upper Lip Live's presentation of AC/DC's last album, Stiff Upper Lip. If you didn't like that album, you may or may not like the sound here.

Content — 10
The content here is not just the songs that are popular. Sure, tracks like "You Shook Me All Night Long," "Thunderstruck," "Highway To Hell" and "For Those About To Rock" made it to the set list, but songs that we don't hear as much as we should, such as "What Do You Do For Money Honey," "Bad Boy Boogie" and "Up To My Neck In You" sound perfectly fine with Brian's voice. The bonus features on the disc are alright, but I wasn't really interested in them as much as I was the interestingly done set list. The DVD does contain an exclusive backstage interview and bonus footage from the band before, during, and after their performance in Germany.

Production Quality — 8
The filming was just perfect. None of the shots were, as Angus and Malcom put it "right up in your face" and they watched the band from a fairly comfortable distance. Reaction from the fans was extensive, as you see the huge fan-fair that AC/DC ignites. I do, however, have grievance with the camera man's intent on shooting the same images of the same people on every other song.

Live At Donnington pales, in my opinion, in comparison to Stiff Upper Lip Live. This DVD shows the band as they are now, and not as they were during their re-emergence in 1991. I strongly recommend purchasing this DVD. It's a personal favorite that I have owned since its release, on both VHS and DVD, and I have taken the DVD with me to watch in the car on trips year after year since.