Stiff Upper Lip Live [DVD] review by AC/DC

• Released: Dec 4, 2001
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
AC/DC: Stiff Upper Lip Live [DVD]

Well, this was one awesome piece. After a couple of years of silence around the AC/DC scene, this was a welcome treat to me. Let me put this straight: I wasn't exactly pleased witht their performance at Donington Park. The sound on that DVD was poor, but this DVD makes up for all of the damage! If I turn this on my surround system, I feel just like I'm right there standing at their feet, duckwalking along!

Content — 10
The content is very satisfying, songs like Hells Bells, Highway To Hell, Shot Down In Flames, and of course the new staple of the band: Stiff Upper Lip (which makes a thundering appearance). The backstage footage is very welcome, and the interview is very nice too, but it's all about the music, isn't it?

Production Quality — 10
The production is superb, the sound couldn't have been better. On the older DVD's like Live At Donington, and No Bull (Plaza Del Toros Spain) their sounds were more 'colder', (mainly on Donington) but his one is just perfect. As a guitarist you are always looking for that perfect sounds, well in my case: this comes very close!

Compared to the older DVD's, this is just super! Most impressive (I thought) is the entrance: Angus comes duckwalking up the stage while soloing the first sounds of Stiff Upper Lip, after him comes Johnsson who actually sings (and not screeches) the first sentence and then suddenly the thunder breaks loose: a gigantic bronze statue of Angus breaks through the background and joins the show, just magnificent! If it were stolen, or lost, I would first find the one who did it, bash him with my guitar, and then make him buy a new one.

udy
    Yes, all things are ready but the bald drummer was the best far away. In 90 I was at Monsters Of Rock concert. There Metallica and after them came the AC/DC. I was convinced that after Metallica we would go home because We could get more nothing. I was wrong!!!! AC/DC swept everything !!! My best concert was seen by me !!!!
    Ang 'n' Mal
    i was disappointed becuz the DVD was called "Stiff Upper Lip Live." and they played 1 song off tht album wat happened to the single... "Satellite Blues?" or my personal favorite "Come and Get It?" come on play more then one song from ur hit record.
    suicidehummer
    That last review is bullshit. any guitarist will tell you how impossible it is to play a perect show like Angus. He's in his 50's in this video and should be sitting at home with his grandchildren, not rocking that stage, so you should be damned grateful you can even see them live anymore. Brian belted it out for years, and had a hell of a voice for 11 years, so of course he's going to lose it a little, but he sounds more bluesy and IMO better. Bon was with ACDC for only 5 years, and in Brian's first 5 years, did he lose it? No. I was dissapointed that they didn't play Meltdown or Can't Stop Rock and Roll. udy: The bald drummer was Chris Slade, and although he was a better drummer than Phil Rudd, he didn't fit AC/DC's style as well, which is why they got Phil back in '95.
    wildman_col
    suicidehummer, i have to agree with you except for the fact that bon was with AC/DC for more than 5 years
    Gajolen
    Well I damn hope that the people living next door like this dvd just as much as I do. Best AC/DC dvd
    Inigo1
    It's just great . the best live DVD with AC/DC (and I have them all). To be honest with you, I don't miss the new songs from Stiff upper lip . They got plenty of other stuff to choose from, so they just piced the better ones. And for that I am greatfull. I can't recall the exact date wich Bon joined the band, but it's in the year 1974 and he did in February (the 19), 1980. so 5years maybe .
    Inigo1
    I like the donington and this one... But I really think that this consert is better. It's hard to explain, but it just feels more "the real thing". Well, anyway. AC/DC can't be bad. They just can't!