The Razors Edge review by AC/DC

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
AC/DC: The Razors Edge

This is one of my faveroute AC/DC albums, for many reasons. It keeps the famous DC sound, yet also shows a more melodic side with tracks such as "Let's Make It," and a sense of a humour in "Mistress for Christmas", a slow placed, yet powerful DC song. Then there are the high paced "If You Dare" and "Got You By The Balls," which, in my opinion are up there with classics "Shoot To Thrill" and "You Shook Me All Night Long." Then there are the two songs which have become DC classics, the powerful "Thunderstruck" and the melodic "Moneytalks." As usual Malcolms and Angus's guitars compliment each other perfectly, although Angus has soloed better in the past this makes no difference, as they perfectly suit the simple, yet effective ryhthm section as backup. Brians vocals are possibly his best yet, creating the cherry on the cake.

The lyrics here are very AC/DC. Simple, yet powerful. Brian really comes into his own here, having by now become the voice of AC/DC, escaping Bon Scotts shadow. He seems to take delight as he shrieks lines such as, "Hey little girl" and "Come Outside And Play." The voice perfectly tops of the famous AC/DC sound. Maybe the amount of emotion and power in Brians voice as he sings is suprising, as he did not write a single lyric on this album. No, as difficult divorce prevented him from contributing to this record, leaving Angus and Malcolm to get on with it, a partnership which continues to this day. I think the boys did good!

Of course, the album is not as good as Back in Black, but it has been their strongest since and it comes close! High points, other than the obvious "Thunderstruck" and "Moneytalks" include "Shot Of Love" and "If You Dare." Despite it's critiscisms as a weak album, in my opinion "The Razors Edge" is in the top three DC albums of all time, and brought the band roaring into the '90s!

eggy1991
    UG_banned_me wrote: Viscosity dude,Bon Scott died 10 years before this album was made man.
    this is true. please get your facts right before stating something in a review? R.I.P Bon. and i do not think this is close to being one of their best albums, its one of their worst, but i still love the thing! AC/DC are the gods of old school Hard Rock!
    AngusYoungsheir
    eggy1991, what the **** are you talking about, this is one of their best albums. But you're right about AC/DC being gods, cos' they are.
    dakota1211
    WORST ALBUM!!! moneytalks, thunderstruck, and areyouready are the only songs that are good enough to listen to over and over. and thunderstruck gets annoying. so this is by far their worst work yet.