The Razors Edge review by AC/DC

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
AC/DC: The Razors Edge

'The Razors Edge' was in many respects, a comeback! Although 'Back In Black' will remain the bands most memorable moment, 'The Razors Edge' holds it's own. After a bit of a popularity decrease since the mid '80s, and going missing for a couple of years after their previous album 'Blow up your video', AC/DC walked into Little Mountain studios in Vancouver and recorded their best album for almost a decade. The sound is a little more even (on some previous albums, you could hardly hear the vocals), but the boys have took a turn in the right direction and have paid more attention to Brian's part in the band, and the album opener, 'Thunderstuck', has some really catchy vacals, ie: the chant in the intro from Malcolm Young and Cliff Williams. The Lead guitar playing doesn't let up, you can even hear Angus experimenting with reverb on tracks such as 'Mistress for Christmas' and 'let's make it. The best track for sing-a-long moments is no doubt, Moneytalks. As Malcolm once said "There are just some great riffs that just sing themselves". To sum up, the sound couldn't be better.

Angus and Malcolm wrote the lyrics for this album on their own, as lead singer Brian Johnson was going through a difficult divorce at the time, and the brothers don't disappoint. If you need proof, look no further than 'Mistress for Christmass'. The title itself is deserving of an award for its sheer genius. Dare you deny you didn't look twice at the title when you first saw it. It's good to see that the lads have taken a better approach towards the lyrics this time, and you can really hear how Brian's voice compliments the lyrics and makes the song better as a whole. As it says in the small booklet you get with it, the voice can be an instument in it's own, and he's certainly proven right in tracks such as the title track and Thunderstuck. Thunderstuck is a real gem in all aspects of writing a song. Just listen to: the intro, when the bass comes in, how the drumming compliments the guitar, the catchy vocals, and the altogether stucture of the song. The lyrics are purely showing AC/DC's endless quest for a good time. In short, It rocks.

This, in my opinion is AC/DC's second greatest album. If you compare it to all the other albums coming out at that time, there is no competition. It just so happens to have been released the same year I was born. The real great tracks on the album (mind you, all 12 tracks are great) are Thunderstruck, Moneytalks, Are You Ready, and Shot Of love. Shot of love just blew me away, and Are you Ready made me want to just run to the computer and find the tab. There is absolutely nothing wrong or mediocre about this album. As you may know AC/DC have never done anything in halves, just watch some of their live footage and you'll see what I mean. This is a great album for people just getting into the band and are unsure as to what to think of them. This album has it all, looks, sound, lyrics, and overall quality of songs. The thing I love most about this album is probably Angus's guitar solos, I've learnt most of them, and I'm still hungry for more. So take my advice, buy it, download it, borrow it, just get a hold of it somehow and just revel in the sheer power of the songs, because you know what.

angusrokks
    Bon Scott didn't die from suicide it was just an unintended death, he just drank himself to death R.I.P Ronald Belford Scott, you were AC/DC's hero. Amen
    hew-jass
    Phill-Rock wrote: thunderstruck is one of their worst ALBUMS, but thunderstruck is one of their best SONGS
    weren't you raeding the review ? the albums name is The Razors Edge .... Not thunderstruck anyway ... the best songs on the album were If You Dare, Got You By The Balls and Shot Of Love the only one i didnt like that much was Mistress For Christmas =]
    von tratt
    I'm a real boy wrote: AcDc are a bunch of showoffs who can't write lyrics or any good guitar lines. Angus especially is the worst and most unimaginative guitarist ive ever seen! My friends say but dude he can play one handed. whoop doop even I can play thunderstruck at right speed one handed and im thirteen and have been playing for one year. They basically suck overall.
    Dude, he plays Thunderstruck with TWO hands on the studio version and live, he only does it with one hand to make the music video look cooler (which he does for his fans). Try to play the solo of Whole Lotta Rosie while crawling on the floor then if ure so damn good? You might be able to do it in five years, but he makes it look cool AND sound good. Your sound is probably crap. Btw, do u know why the easy solo of Shook me all night long is AC/DCs most popular? cuz the songs dont have to be complicated, its enough if they sound gd. Have I made myself clear u little faggot?
    icecreamninja
    Dude you are probably some punk ass that thinks that MCR is real rock. To even say anything like what you said about AC/DC just shows your lack of knowledge. Suck a Dick Asshole!!!
    hew-jass
    weren't you reading the review .... the albums name is The Razors Edge ... Not thunderstruck lol um .... best songs are If You Dare, Got You By The Balls and Shot Of Love. The only one i didnt like on the album was Mistress for Christmas.
    AngusYoungsheir
    Hey "real boy" dude, if you hate AC/DC so much, why the **** are you learning their songs and checking their reviews. You're queer!
    playinbass1432
    icecreamninja
    People, Back in Black was a good album; BUT There are actually some Better AC/DC albums out there. The Razors Edge is one of them.The Razors Edge is a great album. I love songs like "If you Dare" and "Shot of Love".
    von tratt
    playinbass1432 wrote: Am I the only one that doesn't like Thunderstruck all that much ? I thought Shot of Love was the best song on the album.
    Shot Of Love AND Thunderstruck are my favourite songs on the album
    orange_juice
    this is a great album. the title track is amazing, and of course, theres thunderstruck
    ledzeplive
    Maybe one of their best albums. Listen to thunderstruck as it is so electric and exhilarating. Rock on!!
    AvengedThrice
    He did more for rock than nearly ANYONE else. He has created some of the most memorable solos in the world of rock. AC/DC have been playing over 30 years now, down the line they've lost a friend to suicide, and found a new sound and singer. Did I also mention they created one of the best selling albums EVER? Point proven, I think. Faggot.
    orange_juice
    real boy, you cant say that about angus. he's a crazy guitarist and you have to give him credit for being one of the only great guitarists who can play a solo and have a seisure at the same time. even though his riffs aren't very creative, he will be a rock and roll legend forever.
    I'm a real boy