Space Invader review by Ace Frehley

• Released: Aug 19, 2014
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ace Frehley: Space Invader

Frehley's vocals are strong and it shows with the first track of the album, "Space Invader." In a recent interview he responded his voice sounds better than ever due to him being sober for 7 years now. The production sounds great with a great punch to the gut with the drums and the dirty, gritty tone of classic Space Ace guitar leads and solos. The music defines the tone of the music as if you were riding across space on a journey to an unknown plethora of the galaxy with reverb and echoes used perfectly.

Ace's lyrics mostly revolve around the issue of space and this album is no different. You get the occasional song about love with "Gimme a Feelin'" and "What Every Girl Wants" along with a song that speaks about Ace's hardships in "Immortal Pleasures." Overall, the lyrics can be quite "cheesy" per se, but lyrics have never been Ace's strongest skills. In "What Every Girl Wants," he sings "Now ya lookin' so tight/ gonna make you feel right/ They're never disappointed cuz they always come back for me, that's right." Honestly, at this age Ace writing those lyrics probably comes across as a bit too much, but he tries and that's all you can ask for.

I do not think this tops Ace's 1978 solo album while in KISS, but it is better than 2009's "Anomaly." The songs reminisce of classic guitar driven rock 'n' roll; obviously something Ace has done his whole career. "Space Invader" is sure to leave you repeating the chorus in your head for a while. The closing track, "Starship" is a great instrumental with a beautiful melody that displays Frehley's ability to sonically transform you as if you were indeed aboard a spaceship in outer space.

As a KISS and Ace Frehley fan, I love this album as it shows that Ace can still deliver great music and the classic licks he's known for. The only downsides are the lyrics aren't that great and I feel "The Joker" was unnecessarily added to the album. In closing, Ace is showing he is creatively strong and showing he does not need KISS to make damn good music.

ewolf5150
    ace was doing an interview on my local talk radio show in cleveland a few weeks ago. how come this guy talks like what i imagine a concussion would sound like, but sings like everything is normal. just like ozzy
    rdprtt
    I am really becoming a big fan of Ace Frehley. This album is very catchy and has some great guitar and feel. Nobody else is like him. I am 45years old and been playing guitar since I was 12. Starting to get a feel for Ace's playing it's just cool. Solid without any crap.I was never a big kiss fan but really like think this is a great solid listen. The guy has paid his dues and is a rocker!