Home School Valedictorian review by Adelitas Way

• Released: Jun 7, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Adelitas Way: Home School Valedictorian

Adelita's Way are a hard-rock group who struck it big with their self-titled debut album, with the hit single "Invincible" being used for WWE events and other sport soundtracks. Now, they're back with their 2nd album "home School Valedictorian". I'll admit, I kind of liked the single Sick, which is why I bought this album. Once I listened to it, I realized that I had made a mistake. If you've heard Adelita's Way first album, you have heard the second one already. Nothing has changed on this "Home School Valedictorian". It really feels like the band didn't even try on this one. There's not an inkling of improvements on "HSV". The sound is incredibly generic and formulatic. There's heavier songs, such as "The Collapse", "Sick", and "I Wanna Be" (which is actually catchy, minus the lyricall rip-off of Nickelback's "Rockstar"). Then you have the soft tunes, such as "Somebody Wishes They Were You", "Good Enough" (the best song on the album IMO), and "Alive".

First off, the lyrics SUCK. They are so damn formulatic and generic that it feels like their label wrote the lyrics instead of the band members. That being said, Rick DeJesus isn't the worst rock singer I've heard, but he's far from the best. There's love songs, fight songs, and a song about the economic downturn ("Sick"). Also, "I Wanna Be" sounds like a rip-off of Nickelback's "Rockstar". That irritated me a lot, because I actually really like Nickelback (UG metal elitists, here's your cue to insult me).

Name a modern rock band, and you're essentially talking about Adelita's Way. They're generic as all hell. There's only a couple songs worth paying attention to, and those tunes are "Somebody Wishes They Were You" and "Good Enough". I regret even buying this album, and I wouldn't replace it if it were lost/stolen.

Apathie
    Ink Avenue
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT BATTMAN1993??? HSV is a great album. "Sick" reached #1 on the U.S Rock chart and so did "Criticize"!!! "THE COLLAPSE" REACHED #3 AND "ALIVE" #6.Pretty much every single they've released for this album has been in the top 10 songs of the U.S active Rock chart.AND STOP CALLING THEM "GENERIC" WOW WHY HIS USERNAME SOUNDS LIKE A NERD NAME LOL
    Ink Avenue
    IF I HAD TO RATE THEIR 2 ALBUMS 1-5 STARS I WOULD GIVE THE FIRST ALBUM a 3 1/2 (Not bad) I would give the second a 4 1/2 they've improved alot!!!
    rocknrolldude43
    Apathie wrote: I personally think this reviewer is full of himself. Adelita's Way is able to put so much emotion into their music, and they have SOLID guitar playing that transcends power chord mashing. Please don't write anything else...
    This so much. I actually saw them live last night and they put on a pretty good show, not to mention Rick knows how to get the crowd pumped up.
    moviedude24
    Yeah, I also disagree with the reviewer pretty much. I thought this album was pretty good, and equal to their first one...which wasn't reviewed on here. But this band knows how to rock and the lead singer has a unique and powerful voice so I give this cd an 8.5/10! Btw, this is my first comment on UG so it's weird, LOL.
    Taint McGooch
    Is this reviewer trolling? Cookie cutter rock, this album may be, but they have a solid sound and are all very talented musicians. This album definitely isn't a 10, but it doesn't deserve a 6 either.
    KrisBcream
    I stopped reading after he started criticizing the album... this guy's an idiot. I love the album.
    ridebmx588
    You know i saw them live in august and i gotta say they were really good. This guy is sooo full of himself and he thinks he knows music just cuz he got paid to write a review. Who paid him...nickelback