Another Year Of Disaster review by Adept

• Released: Feb 4, 2009
Adept: Another Year Of Disaster

This album is amazing purchase, it is a brilliant hardcore/post-hardcore album from beginning to end. It has lots of intricate guitar riffs that encompass almost every song on the album. Atop of that there are great vocals and screamo vocals with really catchy riffs that will have these songs echoing in your head well after you have turned off the music. The album titled "Another Year Of Disaster" is basically an album about the disasters of life, such as having a lover cheat on you. Which is actually what the songs are about. It has a mixture of metal, hardcore and screamo elements that allows for a great sound.

Unfortunately it does have it's downfalls. Having so many elements in one sounds a little bit awkward at first and it sets the band in bad light when you first listen to them, fortunately after a couple of thorough listens the album really does grow on you.

I really would have to say that in my own personal opinion this is the best album I have purchased this year. It comes at you thick fast and heavy which is exactly what the genre calls for.

The lyrics mainly deal with the trauma of having your lover cheat on you and break your heart. A typical choice of topic for this style of music. The lyrics are not for the lighthearted, with song titles such as "At Least Give My Dreams Back, You Negligent Whore!" you can imagine some of the vulgar and demeaning language used in the songs. Fortunately they are used very well and are very much in context with the rest of the lyrics and allow for a brutal attack on those who are not faithful. These lyrics are all deep rooted and are definitely the lead singers own.

The band is Swedish but sings in English, which he does particularly well considering. On the downside though, there is a tad bit of miss-use in the grammar department but it's very easy to over look once you get into the music.

The lyrics and music intertwine to give you an almost mind blowing experience. The vocals are very good with the screamo and give the band an almost uncomparable sound.

Overall this is an album worth checking out, especially if you are into your hardcore and post-hardcore genres. If you enjoys bands such as Our Last Night, From Autumn To Ashes etc. You will fall in love with this album. The songs on this album that will really impress are Shark! Shark! Shark!, Sound The Alarm, At Least Give My Dreams Back You Negligent Whore!, Let's Celebrate, Gorgeous! (You Know Whose Party This Is) and Grow Up, Peter Pan.

I love the fact that the band is releasing such quality off their first full length album, but I hate the fact that they are relatively unknown. Order this album from amazon it is definitely well worth the purchase alternatively buy it from their MySpace page for a special offer and a shirt.

This is probably the best album I bought in the last two years!

Shasirax
    Why isn't it anyone who have done there songs in tabs??? I want to play them
    ismellfunny13
    even thought to me they sounded pretty cool they are very generic
    rictazero
    Assassins_Ink
    rictazero wrote: Haven't heard them, but I think it's funny that the reviewer acts like no one has ever mixed metal and hardcore... as in metalcore or post-hardcore maybe?
    come on... I said its a great Post-hardcore album, its the first line of the review... moron
    Untamed_Horizon
    ismellfunny13 wrote: HagstromSpeed wrote: Wow, haven't heard a band sound like this 1600 times, generic! even thought to me they sounded pretty cool they are very generic
    Depends on what you mean by generic... The whole hardcore (and metal, or even rock for that matter =p) scene is pretty much built by encouraging artists to keep their genre's signature sound. Yet in the same time many bands are able to make new and refreshing music that are relatively unique. The same thing happens in movies. How many superhero movies were there before the new Batman? Lots. Yet Batman was able to beat them to pulp.
    pricey1986
    ok so i know this is about a year old but ive just signed up to my first forum online an this is my first msg. i totally agree with what this blokes sayin its one of the best albums ive heard in years. i agree with the generic reply aswell its not always about pushing the boundries because thats impossible. read a bit of adorno to what he says about music itl blow your mind. all 'metal' is essentially the same as is all 'hardcore' bands for example. at the end of the day if they do it well then thats what makes you stand out. i love this type of music so i want to hear slight variences of it just to keep me interested.
    pricey1986
    anyone kno when there next in the UK btw? im goin to see emarosa next week for 7 quid cant beat that can ya! great price!