Sung From The Heart Review

7.3
 5.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Sung From The Heart Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on december 01, 2010

Sound: Coffeehouse country, acoustic rock, and
nouveau folk-pop all have something in common. They all apply to Adison Skye's debut record Sung From The Heart. The gentle feathering of her guitar chords and the fireside rhythmic strokes of tracks like Best Thing and Another I'm Sorry are reminiscent of Death Cab for Cutie, and the perky strut in the guitar ridges woven along Pin Cush and Beautiful inject a feel good vibe in the album. The simmering currents of Left My Mind are corked in rippling beats and the slow rises and quick falls looped through I Tried bode well with Skye's timbres which induce a Katy Perry-esque luster in the melodies. Her vocals are the spine in the tracks and the guitar threads are the vertebrates which put flexibility in the melodic movements. The country pop traits of Whatcha want To Be fuse the mandolin with glazy rock chords, and the pensive mood of Train Wreck are kindled by delicate piano motifs and weeping cello trills. The lush guitar solo in Another I'm Sorry howls with a soaring rush that speaks volumes about channeling intense emotions into melodic expressions. // 9

Lyrics: Adison Skye's lyrics are steep in her thoughts. Sometimes they lean towards the romantic side of her personality, and other times, she reflects about her grief like in Train Wreck where she muses, Close the doors / Lock them behind me / I don't want to feel anything... I don't think it's fair / I don't think that I'm to blame for all of your mistakes A train wreckage might kill me but don't you dare pass me. Her song Beautiful has a more positive outlook with verses that brightened the album, I want to spend my days waking up next to you The way you say my name I'll never be the same I want you to tell me I'm beautiful I'll do anything to have me here with me This feels so right to me. Skye's words in Another I'm Sorry finds her feeling very humble, This will not just be another broken memory / This will not just fall to pieces / This will not just end in another I'm sorry. // 9

Overall Impression: Adison Skye's songs relate to her own gender though the subject matter in them are all about the opposite sex. The vocal hooks she places on the words portray her emotions with a genuine glint, and the ambling stride of the rhythms induce a hum-along feel to the songs. It's music for the masses made to be likeable and relate to what anyone in a relationship experiences at least once. // 9

Comments