Adrenaline Mob review by Adrenaline Mob

• Released: Aug 9, 2011
Adrenaline Mob: Adrenaline Mob

Adrenaline Mob is a metal supergroup featuring former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy (who laid down The Rev's drum parts on A7X's "Nightmare" and was their touring drummer for awhile) and Symphony X vocalist Russell Allen. Adrenaline Mob also features guitarists Mike Orlando (who is a solo artist and has worked with Zakk Wylde and Bumblefoot) and Rich Ward (Fozzy, Stuck Mojo), and bassist Paul DiLeo. They released a self-titled EP earlier this year that containted four originals and a cover of the Black Sabbath classic "The Mob Rules" (it fits considering the name of this band). Since the two most prominent members of AM (Portnoy and Allen) are from legendary prog-metal bands, you might expect Adrenalinb Mob to be another prog-metal project for them. This is where you would be wrong. Adrenaline Mob is an "old-school heavy metal band" as Portnoy describes it. Their sound is very traditional, with a lot of Black Label Society-esque riffing (Mike Orlando wrote most of the songs on this EP). I'm not going to spend too much time describing each song in detail, since this is just an EP (the debut full-length will come next year). Instead, I'm going to post a YouTube link to each song and describe each song a little bit. 1. "Down To The Floor" There is noise at the beginning that comes from an auto race. It fits with the lyrics, which are about auto racing. The song itself has a very Motorhead feel to it. 2. "Pyschosane" This song feels kind of Disturbed and Sevendust-ish. The lyrics are about a serial killer. 3. "Hit The Wall" This song is very reminescent of 80's Black Sabbath. 4. "Believe Me" Very Sevendust-ish. Groove-oriented. 5. "The Mob Rules" Just the Black Sabbath song with the Adrenaline Mob sound.

Russell Allen is God. Seriously, he is. His singing style in Adrenaline Mob is harsher than his singing in Symphony X, but he pulls off both styles with ease. His singing in Andrenaline Mob is a mixture of Dio, Zakk Wylde and Phil Aselmo. The lyrics are also different. Whereas a lot of Symphony X's lyrics are fantasy-based, Russell Allen sings lyrics about relatable life issues in AM. "Hit The Wall" is about frustration, "Down To The Floor" is about auto racing, "Believe Me" is about telling someone to believe in you (hence the title), and "Psychosane" is about a serial killer.

For an EP, it's very nice. The sound is mostly traditional hard rock/metal. You can hear a myriad of influences. It's not the greatest debut ever, not even close. But, if you like hard rock or traditional metal, you should definitely give Adrenaline Mob a listen. Your ears will be happy.

korbhag
    "Hit the wall", "Down to the floor"... Where's "Through the roof"?
    judo_john
    korbhag wrote: "Hit the wall", "Down to the floor"... Where's "Through the roof"?
    "Believe Me," you'll find the roof eventually
    eljono123
    Shotgunmerc
    Shotgunmerc
    slaveskinJACKET wrote: Shotgunmerc wrote: slaveskinJACKET wrote: According to ultimate-brownnose.com, every single album that is ever released is perfect or damn near it. I've only ever seen one album reviewed and rated below a 7 (I saw a 6 once), but it was among three or four other 9.5-10 reviews. I rarely hear an album from the last 10-15 years that I would give more than a 5. If you call everything perfect, there's really no need for the rating system, at all. I would give Led Zeppelin II a rating of 10, yet I would give Physical Graffiti probably a 6 or 7. In contrast to this review, it would seem that Adrenaline Mob's EP, with a rating of 7, would be damn good or at least pretty decent. It's not. Not sure if you're aware of what an opinion is but everyone has their own opinion of how good something is or isn't. Although you seem pretty close-minded if you rarely hear things that deserve a 10 so maybe you're just a bit slow. I'm closed minded because I don't label everything I hear as perfect? That's ridiculous. I was just saying that there is no need for a rating system in the reviews because it's extremely biased. Right now the user rating for this EP is averaged at 6.7, but by the end of the night, it will climb to around 9. It happens every time. And the fact that I don't throw around 10s as often as you might just come from the fact that your musical standards might be lower than mine, or you might just be more easily amused. Believe me, I wish I liked more new music. There's just not much out there for me, that I've found. Steel Panther, a comedy/parody band, is one of the most respectable rock bands of recent memory. That's not right.
    What have you been listening to? best of milli vanilli? Come on dude. There have been plenty of great bands in the past 10-15 years. I go into every album with an open mind and can typically find something I like and dislike about every album. Plus, albums don't need to be perfect to earn a 10. Rust In Peace by Megadeth is a phenomenal album through and through that easily deserves a 10 but you won't hear me praising Dave's singing abilities. Great vocalist? Hell yeah. Great singer? Not in my lifetime.
    Battman1993
    DiegoAngeles wrote: I can't take this review seriously. Russell Allen is God. fan boy.
    For the record, I don't really like Symphony X. Also, if you don't think Russell Allen is one of the best singers in metal, you're insane. Yes, I went a little far in my description, but he is still a very good singer.
    slaveskinJACKET
    CoolMcAwesome
    yeah, Super groups generally mean EVERY member is a well known super-star. there are only two "super stars" in this band. also, terrible band name is terrible.
    SirDrunkalot
    I don't think this CD is something I would like, but I heard the teaser on youtube, I might listen to the full album one or two times lol
    damillion
    Gave it a 7. I quite liked what I heard. Will be interesting when the full album comes out and I WILL buy it.
    slaveskinJACKET
    eljono123 wrote: slaveskinJACKET wrote: I rarely hear an album from the last 10-15 years that I would give more than a 5. It's not. Pretty much all I need to see to nullify your opinion. You're free to have it though.
    And the fact that you don't think it's shit has made me leery of your opinion on anything.
    JMV12
    I can't rate the album because I've only heard Psychosane, but I can say that I really didn't like that song. It's too Black Label Society-ish for my taste.
    Diek321
    The lead guitars are pretty good (not great though). The riffs and general rythym guitar sound very weak IMO, and everything else sounds pretty much mediocre. Well, I generally thought it is weak. I think we all expected so much more.
    K!d_MeTaL
    slaveskinJACKET wrote: According to ultimate-brownnose.com, every single album that is ever released is perfect or damn near it. And thats just your opinion dude *_* I've only ever seen one album reviewed and rated below a 7 (I saw a 6 once), but it was among three or four other 9.5-10 reviews. I rarely hear an album from the last 10-15 years that I would give more than a 5. If you call everything perfect, there's really no need for the rating system, at all. I would give Led Zeppelin II a rating of 10, yet I would give Physical Graffiti probably a 6 or 7. In contrast to this review, it would seem that Adrenaline Mob's EP, with a rating of 7, would be damn good or at least pretty decent. It's not.
    OrganicCage
    This isnt actually that bad, kinda cheesy and lame at times but still pretty good. However sometimes I wish there was screaming in some bits, those "tough guy" riffs dont always mesh with the vocals.