Coverta review by Adrenaline Mob

• Released: Mar 12, 2013
Adrenaline Mob: Coverta

Adrenaline Mob is a heavy metal supergroup, who first gained worldwide musical attention with their dynamic debut album, "Omerta", just last year. Featuring a lineup of prestigious musicians from renowned bands such as Symphony X and Dream Theater, Adrenaline Mob has, within a relatively short period of time, gained attention and praise worldwide for the powerful and unique take on the heavy metal genre of sound. Now, taking their rambunctious style of sound and applying it to some of the most iconic songs in hard rock and heavy metal music history, Adrenaline Mob return to the music scene with their new EP, "Coverta". This new album features the band's take on 8 classic songs, ranging from Led Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song", to Van Halen's "Romeo Delight", to Black Sabbath's "The Mob Rules". Now, initially I had some reservations before checking out this release for myself. In most cases, when bands try to put out an album with their takes on such well known and beloved songs, the outcome almost always comes out as cheesy or just downright awful. However, I am pleased to say that I was delightfully surprised with "Coverta". Adrenaline Mob hits several different levels on the "cover song scale" with this new album, and only one song out of the bunch just didn't turn out right, being Heart's "Barracuda". The racing riffs and screaming vocals are all there, but perhaps it was Russell Allen trying to match the high octave vocals in the chorus that really blew it for me. Then you have songs that still sound as though you're covering someone else's work, such as "Romeo Delight", but still in all rights turned out fantastic. But when Adrenaline Mob hit it out of the park, it's an absolute success. One of the best examples of the disc is their cover of Dio's "Stand Up And Shout", which has Russell adding a magnificent Ronnie James Dio-style snarl to his lead vocals, that when backed by the pulsating guitar riffs, is absolutely standout, and leaves you cranking the volume up to ten and craving more.

Lead vocalist Russell Allen does a formidable job when covering the songs on this new EP. He naturally has a very broad vocal range, so that allows him to masterfully take on a wide range of songs, from the snarls of Dio-era Black Sabbath to the wailing vocals in Led Zeppelin. The only constraint I have from the new album is the previously mentioned "Barracuda", which shows Russell straining a little bit to hit those high notes in the chorus, and had he just roared those lyrics instead I feel that would've changed the atmosphere of that song for the better.

Adrenaline Mob give yet another standout performance with "Coverta", which shows the band masterfully taking on a variety selection of classic rock and heavy metal hits while soaking them in their own rampaging style, with very few evident soft points in the entire disc. Nearly every song is standout, which allows you to listen to the entire album with ease and scarcely even thinking about hitting the skip button. Even the "worst" song on the album is still very good, so any heavy metal fan should be able to passionately enjoy this new EP by the first runthrough. Overall, a fantastic release.

Skyvalve2012
    It's only good because it's covers....not the stuff that sounds like Omerta. Sorry, but this is not the best of Portnoy's projects. Although Russel still kicks ass.
    JMV12
    I'm not really a fan of this project. I am, however, looking forward to the next Flying Colors album.
    Chronologo
    The stand up and shout is a very loyal cover, Russel did an outstanding impersonation of Dio's classical voice style without losing his own touch
    crazysam23_Atax
    Is anyone else really disappointed that Adrenline Mob is basically all about showcasing Portnoy? It's like he doesn't care how good the guitar or the bass or anything but the drums are amazing.
    NothingRocks
    I'm more disappointed in the fact that Adrenaline Mob sounds exactly like Black Label Society and has some of the cheesiest lyrics in metal. The latter of which is quite an amazing accomplishment.
    KoRnpirate
    I always told anyone that there should be a BLS/AMOB-Tour however, why are you disappointed? Don't you like this kind of music? :p
    Warheart1188
    If anyone here is in the central Florida area, they're gonna be playing and doing a signing at my Best Buy store by UCF.
    marshismellow
    Have to say I really like the Badlands cover. Pretty spot on, and I like the fact that they left the songs pretty much the same as the originals (no solo variations, etc.).
    LeperDog
    Total Portnoy fanboy; Symphony X is shit compared to tother prog bands.
    Redfinton22
    I would literally rather listen to anything from Symphony X at 75% speed than any of the latter half of DT's entire catalog.
    PirateMuffinDan
    Oh what silly DT vs. SX brawls. There's no escaping them. How about you all listen to both bands' discographies and enjoy each band for their unique style. I can honestly say I have every studio release from both bands (aside from SX's debut), and while you all debate, I'm the one winning by enjoying all the music. \m/