Omerta review by Adrenaline Mob

• Released: Mar 13, 2012
Adrenaline Mob: Omerta

Adrenaline Mob formed in early 2011 as a supergroup and played their first gig in June of that year and released an EP around the same time. They released details about their first full length studio album on New Years Eve in 2011, as well as cover art and the release date of March 13, 2012. The original members were Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater) on drums, Russell Allen (Symphony X) on vocals, and Mike Orlando (independent artist) on guitar. They were soon joined by Paul DiLeo (Fozzy) on bass and Rich Ward (Fozzy, Stuck Mojo) on rhythm guitar. After recording the album, they saw Paul DiLeo and Rich Ward leave the band due to responsibilities to Fozzy. They brought in John Moyer (Disturbed) to take over bass duties.

My impression of their music, really, is they sound similar to Avenged Sevenfold mixed with Shinedown. Their music comes across more as hard rock than metal to my ears, though they have been labeled as heavy metal. The guitar work, vocals and drums are all impressive but the end product doesn't seem to really gel in the best possible way. I have followed the whole business with Mike Portnoy and Dream Theater, the drama with Avenged Sevenfold and then the formation of Adrenaline Mob. I want to like them as a band, but before I got a chance to hear them I just kept hearing the label 'metal' attached to them, and then when I finally got around to listening to their stuff they really just come off as radio friendly heavy rock.

Russell Allen really has a pretty good voice, and it really fits well into a context for hard rock. His vocal delivery is impeccable and at times very impressive. I still think I prefer his vocal work with Symphony X, but his voice fits surprisingly well with Adrenaline Mob, as well. The vocal performance is by far my favorite part of the album.

The lyrics themselves fit with the music, but don't especially stand out to me either. As an example, here are some lyrics from "Psychosane": "Heavy thunder blows my mind/ Knocks me senseless all the time/ The sound of lightning screams/ I hear them melt my brain/ Lord I'm going psychosane". As a further example, some lyrics from "Undaunted": "You're all over my face/ this is your place/ you wannabe/ You're running your big mouth/ You're going to get knocked out/ You Wannabe". So again, the lyrics are okay. They're not great and they're not terrible but at times they do go into the realm of being a little cheesy. They still fit well within the music and the end product. I would have rating this section better if the lyrics didn't have a tendency to get cheesy.

I followed all of the drama with Mike Portnoy during his departure from Dream Theater and then the whole debacle with Avenged Sevenfold. I've watched Mike Portnoy destroy his reputation and then slowly start rehab-ing his public image. I've not really taken sides in either of these situations, but I really started rooting for him just because of him becoming an underdog in the whole situation he created for himself. I want to like Adrenaline Mob and I want to like the album "Omerta". I think if I could approach the album fresh expecting it to be a hard rock album instead of a 'metal' album I might have come out this side of listening to it with a much more positive opinion. My plan now is to let the album go for a while and then try it again fresh in a week or two when I'm in the mood for some hard rock instead of metal. Also, as a side note and a point of frustration for me, the guitarist Mike Orlando throws more pinch harmonics into his riffs than Zakk Wylde and it begins to seem excessive.

My favorite songs on the album is probably "Feelin Me" and "Undaunted". My least favorite song on the album would have to be "Psychosane", but this may just be because I've heard it so much. Overall, I think as long as you listen to this album expecting a hard rock album instead of a metal album it isn't bad. It does NOT sound like Dream Theater and it does NOT sound like Avenged Sevenfold. Maybe it will grow on me, who knows. For me, the future holds waiting for the release of the new Flying Colors album (Mike Portnoy's other project) which is not a metal album either, but at least I'll know that going in.

Minivirus2
    they sound similar to Avenged Sevenfold
    it does NOT sound like Avenged Sevenfold
    GBcommander
    Lmao.
    Apejack Cuba
    All I've heard is a few songs of theirs from YouTube, but seriously. Portnoy at the least is a really skilled drummer, and Russell Allen has a great voice. Why are they doing a half assed post-grunge group?
    Camron62\m/
    ThrashRaptor
    stndrdprcdre wrote: How can this band be called a "super group" when only 1 of the members isn't completely obscure.
    I assume you mean Mike, but you must consider that Russell Allen is by no means an obscure figure in metal. Not as well known (or publicized, by far) as Portnoy, but a champion of his art, to be sure. And I'd say the bassist for Disturbed isn't obscure by any means. REALLY, I'd say it's just Mike Orlando who comes close to being obscure, and I'm sure someone would gladly call me out on that. Besides, they're all veterans of acclaimed bands, with a fair amount of experience and talent under each of their belts. As far as the music goes, the lyrics are saddening, but it's decent otherwise. Uninspired in places, but you're mixing a number of genres of metal into one pot with the lineup, so it's to be expected that the best of each wouldn't be well represented in the final cut.
    KingSquall802
    i can't feel this band. i dont know. they are all good, but this is pretty generic. for me....
    immortalsoloist
    tilleking
    immortalsoloist wrote: Alright seriously guys this is getting pathetic. Why does everything have to be blamed on Portnoy!!!! Get your facts straight. This album was already pretty much made before Portnoy even joined the band. Most of the riffs have been written by Mike Orlando and Russell Allen. Portnoy came in the band and did most of the drumming,musically he didn't have a lot of contribution. Obviously he played the drums but composition and arrangement wise he didn't have any input really. Plus it was already mentioned that it would not be "PROGRESSIVE METAL",so before anyone listens to this keep that in mind. This is not Dream Theater meets Symphony X. Listen to it for what it is,I haven't heard the album fully but whatever I have heard is pretty decent,it lands in the "Hard Rock" category. Overall the review is pretty good and precise. But seriously before blaming Mike Portnoy you guys should know facts. He is not copying A7X.... Sheesh....
    Best comment I've seen here.
    CoattailRider9
    In some of our our eyes, it's rock. What about the public? That's definitely metal to their ears. lol
    mysticguitar77
    Just gotta say, "Come Undone" is a pretty bangin' cover. The rest however sounds like it just fell off the generic hard rock/post-grunge truck with a little few second splashes here and there but nothing that is worth replaying much (except "Come Undone" of course which is a damn fine interpretation of the original tune which was already great). Doesn't matter that this band isn't that great, Flying Colors is the new Portnoy side project people should be keeping an eye on.
    Reflection92
    Camron62\m/ wrote: Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward, whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both, for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven" Such is the rule of honor.
    LEGEND haha
    SIEGE312
    Having never heard of Mike Orlando before listening to this album I have to say that his performance is by far my favorite part of it. I also quite enjoy Allen's vocal style, I get a very 80's, almost heavier-Whitesnake vibe on a few of the songs. Would agree that it's definitely not a metal record, more just entertaining straightforward rock.
    stndrdprcdre
    Undead Rat
    I have to admit, the album sounds fairly better than the EP. I wasn't so fond of the tracks on the EP (except for Psychosane, which sounded pretty cool) but the album has some pretty cool tracks as well!
    mysticguitar77
    You kidding? Members of Dream Theater, Disturbed, and Symphony X form a band, how could that NOT be considered a supergroup?
    MegadethFan18
    Just pre ordered this (come out on the 19th here)and it seems the term "Hard Rock" is being thrown around a bit too much. In my eyes Guns N' Roses is as heavy as hard rock gets, anything heavier is Heavy Metal. To say Avenged Sevenfold is not Metal is kind of a joke, you would really put them in the same Genre as Aerosmith? brb God Hates Us is the same Genre as Walk This Way Please, I honestly think if Iron Maiden had formed in the 00s everyone would call them "Hard Rock" as well. I'll be back on the 19th.
    shecter guy
    i was REALLY disappointed when I looked up their music. It's not even GOOD radio friendly heard rock. I mean look at the lyrics that were posted in the review...who would write that and be like "Yeah! I love these lyrics!"? it's just...not good to me. All respect to Mike for trying to get something together but....i'm going to have to pass.
    sverrejk
    I think this album is amazing, and I find "All on the line" very inspiring.
    Miyagi84
    What I don't get, it why is Portnoy trying to copy a GOOD band instead of A7X? I'm not going to spend alot of time clubbing them, even though I think their singer has a terrible voice and even though they have catchy riffs they are just an OKAY band. Point being, why try to copy another bands crappy formula, if you can't even do it as well as them? I'm not a Portnoy Hater, I just think this is lame, generic music, and I'm not sure why Portnoy, coming from maybe the most overtly progressive rock band since Rush, is stooping to this level of hogwash. I like straight up rock/metal just as much as anyone, but this is just crap. Also, I recommend to anyone who wants to hear the story from Mike's POV go look up That Metal Show's episode on VH1.com with Portnoy and John Sykes; I think Portnoy's complaints about wanting to take a break from touring and recording seemed valid. He seems like a good guy that's trying too hard to recover a public image that in my mind was never so badly damaged to begin with. He's making it worse talking about DT and by making bands like this, though.
    beau05
    MegadethFan18 wrote: Please, I honestly think if Iron Maiden had formed in the 00s everyone would call them "Hard Rock" as well.
    MegadethFan18
    beau05 wrote: There are actually plenty of power metal bands that sound EXACTLY like Iron Maiden did 30 years ago, and said power metal bands are no more than 10 years old, sadly ill informed you are, my child Thats pretty much all i had to say really....
    Wait....what? That isn't even close to relevant to anything I said. I've returned like I said I would and I've started listening to the Album and isn't anything close to Hard Rock. The intro to the second song reminds me of Lamb of God, another Hard Rock band.
    captainsnazz
    Haha this is the first thing I thought of too
    katalyzt13
    Minivirus2 wrote: they sound similar to Avenged Sevenfold it does NOT sound like Avenged Sevenfold Can we get some clarification please? You seem to be rather divide on this one...
    I'm sorry, what I had meant was that it seemed like they were trying to sound like Avenged Sevenfold mixed with Shinedown.
    centermass
    does anyone see the similarity in the font to black label society's mafia? i mean i know it's a dumb question but come on it is straight ripped off! how do these guys not check themselves and just pick another style? totally pathetic i'm sorry but come on. i think i will name my band torture device and use maiden's font yeah that would be cool!!!!! duh.....