Get A Grip review by Aerosmith

• Released: Jan 1, 1993
Aerosmith: Get A Grip

If you didn't know who Aerosmith was, you would probually freak out when you saw the udder of a cow smacked on the face of the album cover but it is america's greatest rock band themselves Aerosmith. Get A Grip presented Aerosmith at the top of their fame. The boys pulled out all the stops to try to obtain a good guitar album, while experimenting with new musical and lyrical ideas. From Polynesian Log Drums in the intro, to the amazing arrangement of horns, trombones, and sax's on the ballads this album prefected aspects you can find in every Aerosmith album since Get A Grip.

Though slightly sappy, the three major ballads on this album (Amazing, Crazy and Cryin) hit you as being, not love songs, but tunes that are uniquely Aerosmith. But don't get me wrong, there are other tracks that make this album worth your dollars if you don't like Aerosmith's signature ballads. Eat The Rich will have you wanting to beat the crap out of the nearest rich guy, while songs like Fever, Livin On The Edge, and Line Up (Co-written with Lenny Kravitz) will have you jamming all night long.

Though this album is considered Aerosmith's greatest by non-hardcore fans, I am forced to give it a 4. This album is not my favorite, but it did allow Aerosmith to gain the large fan-base that the 90's had to offer. The ballads showed the sappier side of Steven Tyler, but the fast tracks did make up for the ballad's ability to make you want to change the number. Personally, I don't believe that Crazy, Cryin and Amazing should have been the only three major singles that were spawned by this early 90's Aero-incarnation. Overall, this is a great album, and I would still recommend it to anyone.